CoinPeople.com

Hunted this unusual Chinese coin down - Uighurstan

gxseries

Guess Uighur can be spelt as Uyghur or East Turkestan

Finally found a coin that I like. This is a rather unusual coin that lasted less than one year, hence difficult to find in nicer conditions. If I am not wrong, there is part in Xinjiang that tried to declare independence because of the heavy Muslim population. This area is near the border of Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan. More info can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Turkestan

1010607.jpg

Note that the text is written in Chinese and arabic. This failed 'state' issued coins in two denominations, one being 20 cash and the other 10 cash.

988512.jpg

All the coins that I have suggest that they were overstruck - this one is overstruck over 10 cash coin like this one:

989310.jpg

Needless to say, these coins were not very popular with the general Chinese population and were culled or probably extermined immediately by the Communist Chinese party as they will never tolerate any provinces or cities declaring independency.

I do have two other 10 cash coins but they are been in olive oil for more than one year due to the extent of corrosion. I should put these two coins shown under conservation.

• 1 month later...

Very nice coin.

This part of China is very interesting. Travelling in the area you meet at lot of nice people, but there has for a long time been schisms between hanchinese and uighurs.