CoinPeople.com

Unofficial farthings

Welcome Barry. Yes there are quite a few of us with a token habit. That's a nice grouping of farthings you have, makes me realise how few I own of that size.

From memory I have Sparrow, Albert Smith and possibly 2 or 3 Norwich farthings. I'll see what I can dig out.

Bob

Hi Barry, welcome to the Forum :art: I have an odd few scattered over the 17th to 19th centuries. They are hard to find in my postings as I do not usually use "farthing" in my posts, or in my own archives. I use medal or token as appropriate, Kettle's pieces can often be described as either or both :grin:

Here is one that is listed as a fathing in D&H, but to me it is a commemorative medal, as I use Brown's BHM as a reference for my English medals, if I collected mainly tokens I would probably have used D&H and listed it as a farthing!

This is BHM#515 14mm AE by Kettle, the first image is of my example(unlisted in AE) struck from an unfinished die.

AN01041324_001_l-Copy-2.jpg

Thanks to Philip Atwood & the British Museum for the pictures of their 2 examples of this obverse, which show the further work done to the die with copy/reducing lines. The cheeks have been further engraved & the rear of what appeared to be part of the neck morphies into the lower part of the ribbon. There is also more detail in the hair & the upper part of the ribbon. Also the missing parts of the 'E's have been added. In the far right example the pronounced seperation between cheek, jaw & chin has been totally lost. Oh, and the copy/reducing lines have disappeared!

Thanks for the replies. I should have been more specific and said "19th Century English tokens".

I am well aware of the Conders and medals on here. I don't see a lot of discussion on 19th century items.

I collect a lot of things.

Here is a farthing size William Till token in silver, the only one I've ever seen.

Barry

T10615.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I should have been more specific and said "19th Century English tokens".

I am well aware of the Conders and medals on here. I don't see a lot of discussion on 19th century items.

I collect a lot of things.

Here is a farthing size William Till token in silver, the only one I've ever seen.

Barry

I love the coin dealer tokens. An exceptional piece.

I collect only the 17th century farthings and halves myself. I have a few dozen, but my favourite is from a rat catcher in Wiltshire:

17thwiltshiresalisbury.jpg

Of the 20.000 or so token issuers during that time, this is the only known token issued by a rat catcher. Seems like a pretty pedestrian trade, but was fairly important during that era - rats of course spread the plagues.

this is the only known token issued by a rat catcher. Seems like a pretty pedestrian trade, but was fairly important during that era - rats of course spread the plagues.

I think they probably had to run, sometimes :bgreen: great token Scottishmoney :bthumbsup: please excuse my sense of humour.