CoinPeople.com

5 kopek 1765 SPM

one-kuna

ebay item sold for $479: 220991975465

what is so special about this 5 kopek SPM 1765 ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220991975465?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&autorefresh=true

Something is interesting about this coin. Good observation.

It's clearly overstruck over a 1762 10 kopek over a previous 5 kopek design. But it seems it was flipped and struck again as you can see the mintmark "SP" in the second photo in the wreath at 5 o'clock. These days it's getting hard to find a decent overstruck coin so who knows that's the new market trending price.

Something is interesting about this coin. Good observation.

It's clearly overstruck over a 1762 10 kopek over a previous 5 kopek design. But it seems it was flipped and struck again as you can see the mintmark "SP" in the second photo in the wreath at 5 o'clock.

Yes indeed. I was after the coin, too, but sadly enough I was not the only one to note the double СПМ. :cry:

(The M can also be seen clearly).

I think the СПМ overstrike must have been too poor to be tolerated, leading to a second overstrike .

Sigi

In all respect to overstriking traces, $479 is too high in my opinion

In all respect to overstriking traces, $479 is too high in my opinion

So thought I. But 4 different bidders went over $400. The clearly visible SPM mintmark on both sides makes the coin very unusual.

Sigi

you are right besides that we do not know if those 4 bidders were real numismatists or just the ones who have full packet of money and they do not know where to spend them

The second highest bidder who was goosing up the price has a 'bid activity with this seller' of more than 50% according to ebay. Nice coin, but I suspect some shill bidding was involved.

Interesting observation! That guy intervened also a couple of times at a coin I bought from the same seller abt 4 weeks ago.

As I always snipe it doesn't harm me.

Sigi

Archived