CoinPeople.com

DE €10 Magdeburg

tabbs

Next week a new German €10 collector coin will be issued, dedicated to the city jubilee of Magdeburg.

The city was founded 1200 years ago - or rather, in 805 its name was first mentioned in a Carolingian document ("Magadoburg"). Today Magdeburg has a population of about 220,000 and is the state capital of Saxony Anhalt.

Here is a large image (actually two) of the coin which will be available as from 8 September:

(obverse)

http://www.pressedienst-numismatik.de/imag...vs_download.jpg

(reverse)

http://www.pressedienst-numismatik.de/imag...rs_download.jpg

The central part of the obverse shows the Gothic cathedral. In the upper right corner, the Magdeburger Reiter, a medieval monument honoring Otto the Great. Below, a fool's cap representing Till Eulenspiegel, a legendary satirical hero. In the lower right corner is the Romanesque Lady's Church (Liebfrauenkirche), Magdeburg's oldest church.

On the left side there are (above) a religious sculpture, not quite sure what it is; (middle) the two half balls referring to Otto von Guericke's demonstration of the vacuum (Guericke was a 17c mayor of Magdeburg); and below the Millennium Tower built in 1999.

Well, I find the coin to be a little too static. But who knows, others may like it :-)

Christian

Well, I find the coin to be a little too static. But who knows, others may like it :-)

Christian

I'ms ure some will like it but I'm with you. It looks a lot like our state quarter clip art. I do prefer cohesive designs.

Christian

I'm sure some will like it but I'm with you. It looks a lot like our state quarter clip art. I do prefer cohesive designs.

Well, we all know that some coins turn out much better looking in real life than on a promotional drawing...

Will these be available at face value, at banks or postoffices, Christian?

Will these be available at face value, at banks or postoffices, Christian?

Yes, the branch offices of the central bank, and most commercial banks, have them. The regular (unc) version is available at face value. If you are interested, send me a PM or just leave a note here :-)

Christian

I would be interested in a couple uncs. if that would be possible. You need anything from the U.S. or Canada I could locate for you?

Will see what I can get. In general a couple should not be a problem; if "my" bank does not have enough, the nearest Bundesbank branch is three subway stations away from here. Currently I do not have any specific wishes regarding US/CA coins, but your offer is noted :-)

Christian

And if not, I could always rub it clean for you.  ;)  Will go to the bank either on Fri. or early next week, so you have a few more days to think about whether you want it ...

Christian

Of course I do! :ninja:

it's silver, it's German, it's commem and it's maybe even a bit weird, of course the bunny wants it ;)

;) Someone knows me well. :ninja: It's not really weird, but it's got a Cathedral on it, I like castles, cathedrals and interesting buildings on coins as well.

tabbs, I always try to get at least two of everything. One for me and one for my wife. If she isn't interested I have 5 collecting friends over here who are glad to add an ocassional euro to their collections and it makes more sense, at least to me, with postage being what it is to always get your monies worth by throwing in an extra coin or two! Looking forward to seeing something new as the euros have come slowly this year.

Archived