CoinPeople.com

Long term storage questions

Avoozl

For most of my coins I was planning on putting them in a Mylar Coin Holder then that into Vinyl sheets. Should be the cheapest (but still not cheap) way I can see to protect the coins, easy to look through and still get a closer look with out touching. But would this be fine for long term storage? Is that way any better then just putting the coin it self in a non PVC sheet? of course wouldn't be able to take them out and look at as easy, but protection wise.

those vinyl sheets are $1 each and im guessing the ones with out PVC would be a fair bit more.. And the Mylar holders aren't to bad priced.

So obviously still expensive, which right now I cannot do, for now I am just temporarily storing them in letter envelopes to keep from getting scratched, but those cheap envelopes would contain sulfur and I was wondering how long I would be able to store them there safely until I can get something better? And if its even safe for any short period as well.

Thanks

Avoozl

By "mylar holders", are you referring to the 2x2 cardboard with round windows, or are you referring to clear flips?

Either one is a great long term storage solution, but think about keeping them in boxes made for that purpose rather than in vinyl pages. I obtained a large collection (really an accumulation) of foreign coins from an estate, and the majority of the coins were in 2x2's and stuck in vinyl pages. Much of the copper was ruined by the PVC fumes, along with some of the silver. Now, these had been in those vinyl pages for about 20 years, so the PVC had plenty of time to ruin the surfaces.

If you really want the pages, try to get non-PVC. They'll cost more, but you'll save the coins.

Thanks, I was thinking of the 2x2 cardboard with round windows, but perhaps the flips as well if they are cheaper and offer the same protection

Some coins would go in a box, but I like to look through them now and then (or other collector relatives/friends) thus why I wanted sheets for easy viewing. But yes think I will go with the Mylar holders + box for now, then get the sheets later down the road.

If you really want the pages, try to get non-PVC. They'll cost more, but you'll save the coins.

Would that still mater if they were inside the myler holders?

I will be getting them soon, but so I know does any one know aprox how long it would take for non PVC or sulfur envelopes to react/damage the coins?

I'm storing mine in 2x2's that go into pockets for easy storage and access. Pages only cost $3.50 for 10 of them and hold 20 2x2's each.

Make sure you pinch down those staples, I need to on a few of mine still.

I will be getting them soon, but so I know does any one know aprox how long it would take for non PVC or sulfur envelopes to react/damage the coins?

I have been using archivally safe (PVC free) cardboard 2x2's and 3 ring binder pages for years with no ill effects. Occasionally a coin will tone a bit but even that seems to be rare. They are not the ideal storage medium but I have very few problems with them.

Environment is going to play a big factor too...humidity, normal temperature, temperature variations, etc. I keep mine in a fairly temperature controlled environment with desiccant to reduce humidity.

Or use the kind without the need for staples : self adhesive 2x2's. Cost a tad more but provide a better seal, in my opinion.

I'd like to use the self adhesive ones but for the coins I am carding it really doesn't matter. Pretty bad when the 2x2 costs almost as much as a coin is worth :ninja:

The mylar flips are more expensive than the cardboard 2x2's.

Like everyone else has said, make sure to flatten the staples or you could scratch some coins when you move the holders in and out of the box.

Welcome to Coinpeople :ninja:

I love mine. I have the small, mini stapler. The bigger one is newer and I have not use it.

I swear it has saved me from carpal tunnel or some such similar thing from squishing staples with needle nose pliers.

Archived