CoinPeople.com

Large Cents -- Post em if you've got em

Art1.2

Large Cents are a neat series. When you hold them they feel substantial. They have interesting designs. They're copper. They're old. The toning can be fantastic. Nice examples can be added to your collection without breaking the bank (for certain years - that is).

999123.jpg

This coin has seen some wear but still has much of the design detail. I haven't graded it or attempted to attribute it yet. But I'll get around to it.

Here's a nice 1851 from my collection. This coin was graded and attributed by Grellman. He's the guy who literally wrote the book on attributing the late year large cents.

999122.jpg

999120.jpg

By EAC (Early American Coppers) grading standards the obverse and reverse are graded separatly. On this coin the obverse grade is 12 and the reverse is 8+. So this would equate roughly to the coin being VG or VG+.

Gran and recol indicate that the surface has some granular spots and the coin has been recolored. The granular spots could be from environmental damage or perhaps are a result of a cleaning the coin received. Recoloring is usually not done unless the coin has been cleaning in such a way that the original color/finish has been disturbed.

A very tough series to find in good condition. I picked this one up a couple of years ago at a UBS auction. It has some obverse pitting from corrosion at about 10 o'clock. Otherwise, nice EF details:

USA_Large_Cent_1819_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Large_Cent_1819_rev.thumb.jpg

I have a few more, but they are all F/VF at best.

I posted my so called best ones, the 1794 and 1795. The rest of them are coins I collected when I was a kid and was buying them for like $3 apiece from one of my neighbours. They are not quite as pretty, but have been well loved in circulation. :bthumbsup:

I posted my so called best ones, the 1794 and 1795. The rest of them are coins I collected when I was a kid and was buying them for like $3 apiece from one of my neighbours. They are not quite as pretty, but have been well loved in circulation. :bthumbsup:

Maybe you could add a link to your post? I couldn't find them... :(

I remember reading somewhere (the Snow book?) that lots of people stood in line to have their large cents melted down in exchange for the newer small cents when these appeared. If only more had been kept! Then the Civil War started and these coins disappeared almost entirely.

I have one of the original Newcomb/Andrews books "United States Copper Cents 1816-1857" published in 1944 by Stacks (1st edition, standard). Just found some information here about it: http://wiki.coinbooks.org/index.php/UNITED_STATES_COPPER_CENTS_1816%E2%80%931857 Bought it 5 or 6 years ago on eBay from a seller in Utah, I believe, that was a regular on the Usenet RCC group (rec.collecting.coins -- unfortunately, I never go there any more after my ISP stopped carrying Usenet groups entirely -- thank goodness for Coin People, though! :art: ). Now that I know that there were only 750 of these printed, I feel honored to have a copy of it. It is in very good condition with only a tad of rub on the hardbound corners. Newcomb's handwritten layout and meticulous attention to detail are marvelous -- apparently, the original Andrews book was typeset. The photographed plates are very nice, too.

Now that looked at the list of the top 100 numismatic publications, I find it unusual that the Ahwash book on Seated Liberty dimes wasn't included. It is just as remarkable as any of the other books, and for variety collectors of dimes, much more useful as a reference than some of the more comprehensive books on the list (excellent though they may be).

I remember reading somewhere (the Snow book?) that lots of people stood in line to have their large cents melted down in exchange for the newer small cents when these appeared. If only more had been kept! Then the Civil War started and these coins disappeared almost entirely.

I have one of the original Newcomb/Andrews books "United States Copper Cents 1816-1857" published in 1944 by Stacks (1st edition, standard). Just found some information here about it: http://wiki.coinbooks.org/index.php/UNITED_STATES_COPPER_CENTS_1816%E2%80%931857 Bought it 5 or 6 years ago on eBay from a seller in Utah, I believe, that was a regular on the Usenet RCC group (rec.collecting.coins). Now that I know that there were only 750 of these printed, I feel honored to have a copy of it. It is in very good condition with only a tad of rub on the hardbound corners. Newcomb's handwritten layout and meticulous attention to detail are marvelous -- apparently, the original Andrews book was typeset. The photographed plates are very nice, too.

Now that looked at the list of the top 100 numismatic publications, I find it unusual that the Ahwash book on Seated Liberty dimes wasn't included. It is just as remarkable as any of the other books, and for variety collectors of dimes, much more useful as a reference than some of the more comprehensive books on the list (excellent though they may be).

That's a fantastic book to have in your library. You can still find some Newcomb books and like the old coins they talk about, the books have held their value quite well. I don't have Newcomb. Maybe next year for one of those.

<<snip>>

Large Cents 1793-1796 You'll find the photos here. These are extremely beautiful Large Cents. Worth the look for sure.

You want em, you got em:

All of these pictures come off my "official" type set page; you can scroll up and down to see what I have in other series (assuming I ever finish updating it).

Here is my draped bust:

B4_o_1802_Large_Cent.jpg

B4_r_1802_Large_Cent.jpg

Classic Head:

B5_o_1814_Large_Cent.jpg

B5_r_1814_Large_Cent.jpg

Matron Head:

B6a_o_1818_Large_Cent.jpg

B6a_r_1818_Large_Cent.jpg

Matron Head, modified: (This is probably the most attractive of the bunch, but I have a sneaking like for the Draped Bust design.)

B6b_o_1838_Large_Cent.jpg

B6b_r_1838_Large_Cent.jpg

And finally, the Braided Hair type:

B7_o_1852_Large_Cent.jpg

B7_r_1852_Large_Cent.jpg

I really like that 1818 with the cool die break around the perimeter of the stars on the obverse. Appears to be a Randall Hoard coin too. Of the coins above the only one I don't have yet is the Classic Head, I guess I have been holding out for a nice example like yours.

Of the coins above the only one I don't have yet is the Classic Head, I guess I have been holding out for a nice example like yours.

Thanks.

I'll caveat those photos--in trying to get the color dark enough while "processing" the pictures to make them look more like the coin does to my eye, the two earlier coins ended up looking glossier than they are. And for some reason the pics look a bit darker to me than they did the other night when I posted them.

By all means continue holding out for a nice example! I can recommend the dealer who sold me this (PM me); he handles enough of them he'll probably have a suitable Classic Head, if not now then sometime soon. Of course that assumes you are just chasing that type. If you are looking for an 1814 specifically or even this particular die variety, it could take a bit more time. (I just needed one Classic Head that was suitable, and this is what happened to be in the dealer's stock.)

He was able to get me through the entire Large Cent part of my (1800-1964) typeset fairly quickly, and the only reason I didn't finish the Half Cents with him just as quickly was that I decided to concentrate on the huge number of holes in my pre-Barber/Morgan silver.

Added a few of my Large Cents to omnicoin today. I have much larger images available on flickr if anyone needs them for some reason.

1851 N22 Large Cent F15/VG10 attributed by Grellman

999705.jpg

1853 N13 Large Cent AU50 certified by ANACs

999706.jpg

My photography skills are suffering, I just stick to scanning my coins for the most part. The only thing I have imaged with my camera is a Swedish plate 4 daler, which is far too large and heavy to scan. But I had to make a mini camera stand to perform the job.

I've added a few to omnicoin recently. You might want to take a peek.

1852 N22 Large Cent Vf30/25 attributed by Grellman

999876.jpg

Archived