CoinPeople.com

Are all Kennedy half-dollars "equal"?

ccarroll

Among my battered Franklin half-dollars, I found some silver-era Kennedys which, though circulated, are in fairly good shape. The few dealers I've asked said they're worth exactly the same whether worn or not (probably because they're mostly thinking of melting them down). But I was wondering - if I ever find a club, or if I were selling on Craigslist, would a good-condition Kennedy be worth any more than a battered one?

Among my battered Franklin half-dollars, I found some silver-era Kennedys which, though circulated, are in fairly good shape. The few dealers I've asked said they're worth exactly the same whether worn or not (probably because they're mostly thinking of melting them down). But I was wondering - if I ever find a club, or if I were selling on Craigslist, would a good-condition Kennedy be worth any more than a battered one?

Could be worth a little more, but probably not enough that a dealer would give you any markup for the grade (dealers tend to be like that :( ). Look around on eBay. Gem BU coins seem to be available for about $15 each, and some which are VF or maybe XF are being bid up to around $10 - $12 or so. Proof coins might bring something like $20 - $30.

Archived