CoinPeople.com

Found a 1838 half-dollar !

ccarroll

I'm a newbie going through a stash of older coins that I'd forgotten about, nothing particularly collectible, mostly quarters, some half-dollars, from the silver era, 1940s-1960s. But I was emptying out a roll of half-dollars, mostly Kennedys, and suddenly saw something totally different: 1938!

I'd never seen one before. I don't have a coin book, but when I looked online, I figured it's something called a Capped Bust. Is it worth anything substantially more than the Liberties, Franklins and Kennedys? It's not in good condition, though. Everything is legible, but hardly any relief left and none of the ridging around the rim. And, no, sorry, I'm not able to post a picture.

(By the way, I'm still looking unsuccessfully for a vendor or local club in New York City.)

An 1838 half is a great find no matter what condition it's in. NYC resources? I can't help much there. If the ANA doesn't have a club listed in your area it only means that they don't but non-affiliated clubs could well exist. Maybe calling a "local" dealer would get you info on clubs in your area. It can also get you info on local shows. There are a number of really top notch dealers in NYC. While they may not help much with bullion and such, having a look at a nice 1838 half would be right up their alley.

Best of luck with it.

It certainly depends on grade, but this is much better than any Walking Liberty, Franklin or silver Kennedy! Great find and post some photos when you can and we might be able to help more. This was the 3rd year of the reeded edge half dollar (1836-39), and marked a reduction in diameter from the earlier bust halves to match our modern specifications (diameter, weight, silver content, etc.). Enjoy it!

Archived