CoinPeople.com

What to do with my Silver Eagle Sets?

BigJake2

Hi.

I am a newbie at this, and managed to secure a box of 5 25th Anniversary Silver Eagles.

I only want to keep one set and sell 4, but the word on the net seems to be that I

should not open the box because that will devalue the sets.

I do not have an e-bay account so what is the best way to do this, and to

whom do I sell the other 4 sets? And, of course, at what price?

Thanks.

BigJake2

Now, I am not a dealer or modern expert, but I do collect silver eagles and have a complete raw set (excluding the 95-W), and if it was me, I would open them, pick out a nice set for yourself and sell the others as opened sets. I would guess that since the raw sets are going for about $750-800 on eBay, if you got $750 each, then you'd have $3,000 plus your set, and even if you didn't get that much, maybe you sell them for $700 since you won't pay eBay's 10% fee, you'd still get $2,800 or so, and have your set. If you sell the unopened box, you might get $3,500-$4,000, but then you'd need to spend another $750-800 for your own set to keep. In the end there is no difference in cost or result (you get about $3,000 + a set) but the latter means 2 transactions and more risk (what if the sets spike to $1,000 while your waiting for your $3,500 for your 5 set box?), so I would go with the one transaction. Just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it! Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Dont open the box!!!!! sell the UNopened box of 5 sets. You should get a little over $4,000.00 for the UNopened box of 5 sets.

Then take $1,400.00 and buy a PCGS MS70 complete set.If you open the box,only the "S" coin and the Reverse Proof will be able to be graded and slabed.

There is no guarantee that ANY of the coins in your box will grade a perfect 70.

DONT OPEN IT!!!!!!!!!

In the future.....an opened set will NOT be worth what a perfect 70 set will be worth.

BIG mistake if you open it.

Hi.

I am a newbie at this, and managed to secure a box of 5 25th Anniversary Silver Eagles.

I only want to keep one set and sell 4, but the word on the net seems to be that I

should not open the box because that will devalue the sets.

I do not have an e-bay account so what is the best way to do this, and to

whom do I sell the other 4 sets? And, of course, at what price?

Thanks.

BigJake2

For being a "newbie" you sure jumped into the middle of it!

Whatever you do take a little time to consider all your options.

One scenerio is to just hold on to the box unopened as an investment.

Yes, by doing so you are gambling that the value could go down.

All depends if you want to make that "fast buck" and pick up a

PCGS set as mentioned above or take the risk and set what the future brings.

I do agree on not opening the box however!

Archived