CoinPeople.com

Error on Croatian banknote.. Or is it really an error?

almingbg

Hello everybody

A couple of days ago on another banknote forum (Hrvatska numizmatika - Croatian numismatics) a user posted a picture (detail) of Croatian 20 kuna banknote, showing multiple errors in the micro-text. Instead of "JELAČIĆ" (last name of the person depicted on the banknote) it spells "JELAČIO", "JOLAČIO", "JELAČIC", "JFLAČIĆ"; it also spells "PAN" and "DAN" instead of "BAN" (his title).

jdv1320402998t.jpg

My first thought was that whoever made the banknote had a very bad day or a major hangover :drinks::evilbanana: , but the same type of "ERROR" was reported even on 5 kuna and 50 kuna banknotes. (Hrvatska numiznatika blog)

Are those errors really errors, or are they new (and unknown) security features? This doesn't sound impossible - let's make a banknote with "invisible" error, and if a suspicious banknote is "correct", then it's a fake note.

What do you say? Has anyone heard about similar errors/features? It will be interesting to know it the same type of error/feature exists on other countries' notes.

Presuming this microprinting is the same on all copies of the note, I would find it hard to call it an "error". Errors can me "design errors" where someone's name might have been spelled wrong by accident (as opposed to :printing errors"), but in this case, it would seem the various spellings must have been done on purpose, likely to make the job of counterfeiting that much harder. That's no error.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any notes I've seen with this type of thing on them, it's quite neat!

Dave

Archived