CoinPeople.com

Czarist Russian Commemorative coins.

Guest Aidan Work

Guest Aidan Work

Which of the Czarist Russian commemorative 1 Rouble coins do you have.I know the 1914 commemorating the Bicentenary of the Battle of Gangut is extremely rare.The one that always turns up is the 1913 one,which commemorates the Tercentenary of the Romanoff (or Romanov) Dynasty.

Aidan.

Hi Aidan! I have both of the Romanov dynasty commemoratives and the coronation commemorative of 1896. You can see them in Russian Virtual Coin Museum ;) Many of the commemoratives are rather hard to find, only the ones of 1883, 1896 and 1913 are available quite easily.

I'll propably buy the 1883 one next :ninja:

I most definately did translate that book a while ago... I just had to drool all over the pictures ;)

I did remember sending one to Tane :ninja:

Nevertheless Aidan, how exactly did you know the Gangut ruble rather than the rest?! I mean, that coin is much rarer than the rest, and the price of that particular coin always exceed more than US 5 grand nowadays if it even exists in the first place... To make matters worse, they don't even appear in auction houses very often either...

Guest Aidan Work

Gxseries,the Battle of Gangut commemorative 1 Rouble is very rare as the mintage figure is very low.Just take a good look at the mintage figure listed in Krause,& you will see what I mean.I have never seen one,but if I did see one,I would know straight away what a very good coin it is.

Aidan.

I am not too sure what the mintage was reported in Krause, but in the Russian catalogs, only 30,300 of such were minted. Remember that 1914 is the very year when World War I broke out. The oddity of the mintage 30,300 can only be explained as the initial plan was to mint only 30,000 and an additional 300 was ordered later. Most of the first 30,000 coins were ordered to melt down, which would mean that there should only be 300 of such coins left, indeed making this one of the ridiciously scarce coin.

However in 1927, the Soviet mint was ordered to make restrike of such coins. Such restrikes are supposely impossible to tell from the genuine ones and no one really knows how many of such nodovel coins exist.

As such, if you ever happen to see one such coin, either it is a well made counterfeit or it will for over four digit figure if it happens to be a genuine one.

Archived