CoinPeople.com

Coin Set Building

SouthCapeCoins

Hi All,

I need your advice please.

I've been told that coin set building (for example 1910,1911,1912) is really viable, if so, how and why is it viable? What is the best way I can go about starting to build my coin set?

Thanks so much for your time.

Cheers,

Georgia

Well, going year by year gives you easily obtainable interim goals on your way to building a larger collection. You have to be a little careful what year and nation you pick to start with -- I wouldn't want to have to do base metal, silver or gold for the US in 1909, much less all three. I'm doing a world year set for my birth year; individual nations make for good sub-goals along the way.

As for the best way to start, I'd say to start with whatever scratches your collecting itch, and is a realistic goal over however long a term your patience can manage. What particular coins get your attention? Are they a particular denomination, or year, or nation?

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to also start with a set from my birth year of South African coins, there are quite a few beautiful and unique ones. However I am also interested in South American coins, which I find incredibly unusual and eye-catching.

Yeah, some of the South American ones are really nice. Out of my birth year set, I like the horse and rider on the Argentinian 10 peso, and the condor on the Chilean 5 centisimo... but the Colombian 20 centavo looks more like it was cast rather than struck. The sun design on the Peruvian 1 centavo is nice.

Anyway, it sounds like you have a few itches waiting to scratch already. Keep us up to date on your progress!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to also start with a set from my birth year of South African coins, there are quite a few beautiful and unique ones. However I am also interested in South American coins, which I find incredibly unusual and eye-catching.

Seems you have a handle on what you want to do. Start with a narrow focus like your birth set as you mentioned. It is very easy to wander off into other areas. Set short term goals at first then once you achive those then gradually widen your focus. Otherwise you end up with a Mish Mash of a coin collection----Just like mine!

Archived