CoinPeople.com

What do you think about this coin?

Rhino

Some of you may have seen my post about selling my Coronation Rouble - that's because I'll be using the money to upgrade to a better Coronation Rouble. And I wanted to see what you guys thought of this coin I am looking to buy... I have a few questions that I need opinions on:

1. Is it worth submitting to PCGS, NGC, or one of those company if I buy it?

2. If it is submitted, what do you think it would grade (IF it grades, I don't know how strict they are about some edge scratches, etc.)?

3. What do you think of the patina? Does it look re-toned at all?

I aprpeciate your time :art: I love the 1896 coronation roubles, and I REALLY want to make the right decision when I finally upgrade mine.

1-3.jpg

2-3.jpg

i would send to grading company for my collection ruble/s like this only if it is in MS condition or in proof;

this one does not seem to me can get MS grade from this picture, IMXO

i would send to grading company for my collection ruble/s like this only if it is in MS condition or in proof;

this one does not seem to me can get MS grade from this picture, IMXO

Makes sense. What do you think of the patina, and what do you think a fair price for this coin would be? A seller offered it to me, and he gave me a price that he's looking to get for it, but I did not give him my opinion yet. I think your estimates are conservative (in a good way) from what I've seen in the past, one-kuna, so I would be interested in an opinion on a fair value.

Any opinions from anyone on value, as well, are welcomed.

i would not buy it by above reason but it is under $250 in my opinion :)

i would not buy it by above reason but it is under $250 in my opinion :)

Is it better to have this one, or the one that I already have right now (photos are under the topic "Want to Sell - Coronation Rouble" that I posted today... that one is in worse condition, appears cleaned) ? Or would you say they are both the same value?

What features make you suspicious of that? Is it because the toning is a bit dark?

who knows what is under this dirty brown-black patina. what if someone harshly cleaned it with some abrasives and later covered it with this patina using a boiled egg? I would suggest buying something in better condition with decent toning or without one.

About the patina, this looks like this is taken with a SCANNER, not a photograph so the patina looks distorted. I have been experimenting taking scans of coins as well as photos so they will look very different in person. I'll rather hold back my personal opinion of what it is like in person. Best thing is if you communicate with the seller and express what your concerns are.

I believe 250 dollars for this condition is rather low. I reckon I can sell it for a profit easily.

from buying point always the low possible price reached would be better :)

Just bought it today. Seller and I agreed on..... $275 :D It was a small store that specializes in old documents, Americana, antiques, etc. , not a collector, so they weren't sure too sure on a value either.

I'll definitely post better photos of both sides, edges, everything when I get it in a few days. Thanks for your help everyone!

Just bought it today. Seller and I agreed on..... $275 :D It was a small store that specializes in old documents, Americana, antiques, etc. , not a collector, so they weren't sure too sure on a value either.

I'll definitely post better photos of both sides, edges, everything when I get it in a few days. Thanks for your help everyone!

:drinks:

Actually it is against eBay policy to arrange the sale outside the auction site.

:) The coin was listed there:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120709087836

Actually it is against eBay policy to arrange the sale outside the auction site.

:) The coin was listed there:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120709087836

Don't you feel bad for ebay :lol: ?

Such a poor, poor company that needs all the help it can get... it's a shame all us sellers aren't paying any fees, huh?

I have paid hundreds of dollars in ebay fees as a seller, as did many of you. I think it's a good idea to stick it to ebay sometimes, and get a break from fees.

I wish you would enjoy the coin when you get it. I may be completely wrong about it's condition. Hope I was completely wrong. Please show some photographs when you get it. Look at the one I own - scratched - yes, but I know what is in my collection:

1r1896coronationobv2.th.jpg

1r1896coronationrev1.th.jpg

I wish you would enjoy the coin when you get it. I may be completely wrong about it's condition. Hope I was completely wrong. Please show some photographs when you get it. Look at the one I own - scratched - yes, but I know what is in my collection:

1r1896coronationobv2.th.jpg

1r1896coronationrev1.th.jpg

Thanks, I'll definitely post photos, and I appreciate your input regardless of whether you're right or wrong. You brought up the issue of corrosion and that patina being off, and that allowed me to share that concern with other people and get more opinions about it, something that I probably would have overlooked on my own, so there's no "right" or "wrong" in my mind, it was a valuable opinion.

Nice Coronation piece there :bthumbsup: I like the details on it, I would be very happy with a piece like that in my collection. When did you acquire it? And if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost, roughly? I got into Russian coins about 2 years ago, so I've only seen the more recent price trends on coins... I'm sure these pieces were much more affordable 5+, 10+ years ago.

Archived