CoinPeople.com

1859 commemorative ruble - genuine?

gxseries

I think he was trying to ask, "how do you know this, just from seeing a photograph"?

Surface of the object is covered with cavities (they are formed in contact with air bubbles to form for reflux), the details of relief eased, another texture metal . . . . .

OK. Well, it would have been fun to meet one of the buyers of my coins on line. Mine was prooflike, not proof (though I had people who don't know Russian coinage insist that it is a proof, but I think Jim Elmen knows his stuff better than they do). I have a scan of it from way back when but it doesn't do the coin justice.

OK. Well, it would have been fun to meet one of the buyers of my coins on line. Mine was prooflike, not proof (though I had people who don't know Russian coinage insist that it is a proof, but I think Jim Elmen knows his stuff better than they do). I have a scan of it from way back when but it doesn't do the coin justice.

Steve, Can you please show the picture?

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, that's the one. Thought it was ok but turns out I was totally wrong this time. Seller is insisting that it is genuine but I'm not keen on his response. Color is way too blast white and even though I have owned several cleaned coins, I have never seen it in such wierd color unless it is plated.

Edge seems to be finely polished which is another weary sign. Had to escalate it to a claim in paypal as seller is not responsive - another negative sign. Have to wait and see I guess otherwise this is way too expensive for a counterfeit lesson.

Steve, that's the one. Thought it was ok but turns out I was totally wrong this time. Seller is insisting that it is genuine but I'm not keen on his response. Color is way too blast white and even though I have owned several cleaned coins, I have never seen it in such wierd color unless it is plated.

Edge seems to be finely polished which is another weary sign. Had to escalate it to a claim in paypal as seller is not responsive - another negative sign. Have to wait and see I guess otherwise this is way too expensive for a counterfeit lesson.

Glad you escalated it - a seller not responding is not necessarily a bad thing, Paypal has quickly sided with me on cases in the past if the seller wasn't responding to their emails.

How much did you pay for this one?

Just do not get it how you could think it was ok :doh:

Steve, that's the one.

I realize you were talking to Steve Moulding... but you reminded me I needed to upload my pics as kopeikin requested.

Reminder--this is, according to Jim Elmen, a business strike. It and the much poorer example I got before this one were both sold in Nov. 2008 in the WWC auction as lots 755 and 756. Of this one (lot 756) he said "Choice proof-like UNC, still the finest specimen we have handled."

Unlike any of the other coins I have posted (so far) this one appeared in one of my exhibits--a set of portrait rulers for the Romanovs (I was unable, of course to show Ivan V or Alexei, and "cheated" on Paul with a coronation medal, clearly identified as such!) That exhibit won Best of Show at both the National Money Show in KC, 2005, and the ANA World's Fair Of Money in 2006. Never did try it at Central States.

Whether you want to claim that makes it an award-winning coin or not, it's certainly the best condition of anything I had in my collection.

1859_ruble_Nicholas_I_no2_obv.gif

1859_ruble_Nicholas_I_no2_rev.gif

I realize you were talking to Steve Moulding... but you reminded me I needed to upload my pics as kopeikin requested.

Reminder--this is, according to Jim Elmen, a business strike. It and the much poorer example I got before this one were both sold in Nov. 2008 in the WWC auction as lots 755 and 756. Of this one (lot 756) he said "Choice proof-like UNC, still the finest specimen we have handled."

Unlike any of the other coins I have posted (so far) this one appeared in one of my exhibits--a set of portrait rulers for the Romanovs (I was unable, of course to show Ivan V or Alexei, and "cheated" on Paul with a coronation medal, clearly identified as such!) That exhibit won Best of Show at both the National Money Show in KC, 2005, and the ANA World's Fair Of Money in 2006. Never did try it at Central States.

Whether you want to claim that makes it an award-winning coin or not, it's certainly the best condition of anything I had in my collection.

Steve, thank you. WOW! This one is amazing! :shock:

Archived