CoinPeople.com

Old US , Japanese notes

Mom's coins

I am going through my mom's coins & bills. We have a small 2 3/4 x 3 1/4 inch note that says United States 15 cents, National Bank Note New York. It is not in very good shape. Is this valuable?

Also there is a 5 centavo note -The Japanese Government-, probably from WW2.

I cannot find dates on either of these notes.

Thanks for any info...

I am going through my mom's coins & bills. We have a small 2 3/4 x 3 1/4 inch note that says United States 15 cents, National Bank Note New York. It is not in very good shape. Is this valuable?

Depends on what you mean by "not very good shape" and "valuable." An average circulated specimen with no other problems might be a $50 item.

By the way, it says, "National Bank Note Co. New York." Co for Company, the name of the private printer under contract to the government.

These fractional notes were printed to substitute for the shortage of coins. The Civil War was always problematic and victory was far from certain. The Federal government was always in a defensive position. In the 1864 elections "Copperhead" Democrats advocated peace with the Confederate States. Even after the War, these notes fractional currency notes circulated into the 1870s.

• 1 month later...

Archived