CoinPeople.com

Siberian 10kop1773KM which Brekke variant?

sigistenz

10kop1773km513.jpg

When I came home with this coin abt. 30 years ago (!) I noticed that there were 2 Brekke numbers for 10kop1773KM:

Brekke 512: "large crown - small KM" valued at $50 (1977)

Brekke 513: "small crown - large KM" valued at $50 too

Which one was mine?

Brekke had not pictured any of the 2.

Michailovitch had pictured 1 coin of each date, his only 1773 looked like mine. Uzdennikov, Bitkin, Diakov - none of them mentioned 2 variants. None of their pictures looked different from my coin.

In all the 58 Elmen auctions (World Wide Coins of Calif.) there were 8 of the 10kop1773KM pictured. None of them showed crown or KM different from mine. I had not seen a different 1773 elsewhere either.

Did I have Brekke 512 or Brekke 513?

These days browsing at eBay I rubbed my eyes: "EUREKA"

10kop1773km512.jpg:crazy:

The grade is very borderline, agreed. But as this subtype is as rare as I tried to point out, I could not resist buying it.

For comparison see the variants below

10kop1773kmboth.jpg

My question to you fellow collectors: I do not have all of the Russian catalogs. Not understanding much Russian I have no access to their forums.

Is the "largecrown/small KM" variant listed elsewhere than in Brekke and how is it attributed?

Thank you, Sigi

Sigi, check Yusupov. He list many varieties (more than I usually care about).

I'm traveling at the moment so can't check myself.

:art:

Steve

Thank you, Steve - but I don't have Yusupov :confus:

:shock:

That should be on your shelf. It's not expensive.

For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250641524183+&item=250641524183

I have that one. It is all in Russian, and not many images. I would recommend looking into his later publications. I believe he has an updated version of this catalog with images. It was release some time after 1998. Perhaps you can find that one somewhere. I don't have it myself.

Also, he has a 2 volume catalog, released even later, which covers only the 18th century. I'm afraid I've never actually seen that one myself.

I have that one. It is all in Russian, and not many images. I would recommend looking into his later publications. I believe he has an updated version of this catalog with images. It was release some time after 1998. Perhaps you can find that one somewhere. I don't have it myself.

Also, he has a 2 volume catalog, released even later, which covers only the 18th century. I'm afraid I've never actually seen that one myself.

It has images? ;)

It's primary use for me is the number of variations he lists. No other reference I have comes close. The russian is minimal, so shouldn't be an excuse for anybody interested.

It has images? ;)

It's primary use for me is the number of variations he lists. No other reference I have comes close. The russian is minimal, so shouldn't be an excuse for anybody interested.

I guess. But a lot of variants are described as "digits closer" or "crown wider". Without having some reference point it is hard to understand how close things should be or how wide :)

Agreed, but we can still use it to easily answer Sigi's question. OK...now that I'm home.

From Yusupov

1773KM 10K Large Crown / Small KM 1p

1773KM 10K Small Crown / Large KM <no price>

Prices are from Ilyin and Tolstoi (1910), who obviously list both variants.

The Large Crown / Small KM should therefore be rarer.

Petrov doesnt mention variants, nor does Bitkin.

Hope that helps.

:art:

Steve

My question to you fellow collectors: I do not have all of the Russian catalogs. Not understanding much Russian I have no access to their forums.

Is the "largecrown/small KM" variant listed elsewhere than in Brekke and how is it attributed?

Thank you, Sigi

Sigi, I have Yusupov last 2 volumes, 2004, Kazan.

10 kopeks 1773 are listed under 3 variants.

1. Large crown, KM smaller. 100 (price estimate)

2. Small crown, KM larger. 80 (price estimate)

3. Novodel, small crown, KM larger 400 (price estimate)

I hope this little input can help you with a nice siberian coin :art:

Sigi, I have Yusupov last 2 volumes, 2004, Kazan.

10 kopeks 1773 are listed under 3 variants.

1. Large crown, KM smaller. 100 (price estimate)

2. Small crown, KM larger. 80 (price estimate)

3. Novodel, small crown, KM larger 400 (price estimate)

I hope this little input can help you with a nice siberian coin :art:

Thank you all, Alex, Steve and Valentin, for answering my question :clapping:

As a variant hunter I think I should try to get those Yusupov books. Sigi

Archived