CoinPeople.com

Unknown renaissance medal?

Thanks,

I have emailed Philip Attwood (Keeper of the British Museum’s Department of Coins and Medals.)

"Formerly Curator of Medals, Philip retains direct responsibility for the Museum’s unrivalled collection of around 70,000 medals, comprising commemorative and art medals from the Italian Renaissance to contemporary works...."

Hopefully if he has the time he may get back to me and I'll share any new information.

The medal arrived today.

It's very nice, I took a couple of quick pictures of it.

15zgldd.jpg

2iihcgl.jpg

It weighs 21 grams.

I am curious to learn what this is, as well. I agree with the obvious Renaissance style. I have The Currency of Fame and in that, few of the medals are anonymous. People wanted their names and other information associated with their images. So, this is especially interesting.

I have had one response back so far which came from Baldwin's.

"Thank you for your email an the photos of your medal. I haven’t searched exhaustively for the exact piece (because it can be an extremely time-consuming task) but I am reminded of unattributed 16th century Italian medals of classical themes. It is also possible that the piece was designed for grand-tourers visiting Italy in the 18th century, in the same style. Either way it is a slightly later cast from the look of it but “Renaissance” is a perfectly reasonable title for it.

I’ll keep the medal in mind. In the meantime please find attached a bibliography which may be of use to you if you pursue an interest in renaissance (and related) medals.....

Best wishes,

Graham Byfield

A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd

11 Adelphi Terrace

London WC2N 6BJ"

Archived