CoinPeople.com

If you're ever unsure about the toning on a coin

KoRnholio

And it will reveal all! Was browsing and killing some time on the 'bay and found this:

435406129_o.jpg

Figured it was likely AT but thought I'd check the other auctions from this seller to be sure..

435528107_o.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/1858-1958-Canadian-Silver-Dollar-B-C-Centennial-AU-MS-/140494507074?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b6200c42#ht_1535wt_1138

Gotta love that circulated clown colors look :(

I don't care what you guys say, but I think AT is very attractive as long as it is depicted as AT and not NT. I have a few NT Morgans that I treasure but no AT coins. I wouldn't mind a few of them to add to my collection, and then again, perhaps I might jinx it if I included AT coins at this time. I guess I talked myself out of AT coins in this posting. I'm such a nut!

I don't care what you guys say, but I think AT is very attractive as long as it is depicted as AT and not NT. I have a few NT Morgans that I treasure but no AT coins. I wouldn't mind a few of them to add to my collection, and then again, perhaps I might jinx it if I included AT coins at this time. I guess I talked myself out of AT coins in this posting. I'm such a nut!

I agree somewhat. Not all AT'd coins look terrible/completely unnatural, I kinda like that Canadian dollar in the OP. But knowing that it most certainly had major "help"/"doctoring"/whatever you'd like to call it, is a huge turn off.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks AT to me. That kind of patchy pastel rainbow coloring is often indicative of MS70 brand cleaner toning, IMO. On the obverse too I think it has been cleaned in the past, by the strange almost wear-like pattern in the center around the 3 and the lettering. I'd say this coin had been cleaned at one time, and it was AT'd to cover it up.

Looks AT to me. That kind of patchy pastel rainbow coloring is often indicative of MS70 brand cleaner toning, IMO. On the obverse too I think it has been cleaned in the past, by the strange almost wear-like pattern in the center around the 3 and the lettering. I'd say this coin had been cleaned at one time, and it was AT'd to cover it up.

Thank you KoRnholio, for your opinion. That's what I also think in spite of the assurances given by the former coin owner that the coin had not been doctored. But I still like it anyway. These coppers are usually so worn that finding even an artificially colored coin with little wear is not easy.

Archived