RARE MINT ERROR ?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. IS THIS COIN A RARE MINT ERROR ?

• YES
    • NO
    • POSSIBLE
    • IMPOSSIBLE
    • NEEDS MORE RESEARCH

I just registered today after reveiwing some posts on the internet. I have a 1960 D LARGE OVER SMALL REEDED CENT. The coin appears to be VF condition RD (RED)" The weight and diameter are consistent with that of a cent. But, this coin is reeded like a dime. I placed the cent on top of a 1960 D dime and the reeds appear to match that of the dime. Keep in mind that reeding is part of the striking process, and is considered the third die, and identified as the retaining collar. Does anyone have any Opinions ? Thoughts ? or Information ? that you can share with me ? I did upload a few photos to help. Thanks!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Welcome to Coinpeople!

Personally, I don't think it's real. The big problem for me is that as you mention, the collar itself is a die. And a dime collar would produce something the size of a dime, with excess metal likely spilling out of the top and/or bottom. Well, that's my two cents.

Welcome to Coinpeople!

Personally, I don't think it's real. The big problem for me is that as you mention, the collar itself is a die. And a dime collar would produce something the size of a dime, with excess metal likely spilling out of the top and/or bottom. Well, that's my two cents.

I thought the reeding part of the striking process was also considered the third die? And the third die is also identified as the retaining collar? I thought the retaining collar was a little larger and therefore possible to have occured at this point in the process.

What you have is a home-made error and could not have been done at the mint. It is impossible to have a larger planchet in a smaller collar or to have a smaller collar with a larger die. The process does not allow it. The reeding was done by someone practicing their craftsmanship.

Neat find, though. However, no premium value other than as a conversation piece.

Archived