CoinPeople.com

Bronze Pictones coin

bill

A recent purchase for my Celtic collection, a piece from Gaul with an inscription:

987434.jpg

The coin is 15mm in diameter, 2.48 gm. The inscription CONTOVTOS in front of the bust. The reverse features a wolf over a tree or some other plant. A bucranium (an ox skull or head, in this case a head) is located below the wolf's head.

It joins another piece of the Pictones acquired a few years ago.

907917.jpg

The most recent publication by Delestrée and Tache place it with the Pictones and others within the same series (as they classify the coins) as Pictones-Santones. For my interest, it is the leaping wolf and ox head that sold me on the coin for my collection.

• 3 months later...

The most recent publication by Delestrée and Tache place it with the Pictones and others within the same series (as they classify the coins) as Pictones-Santones. For my interest, it is the leaping wolf and ox head that sold me on the coin for my collection.

Nice one. I like the other one in your collection even more though. What can you tell about it?

Ian

Nice one. I like the other one in your collection even more though. What can you tell about it?

Ian

The second coin is a silver quinarius from 60-50 B.C. The obverse bust is a Roman imitation of either Venus or Diana. The warrior facing forward holds a standard with a boar in his right hand and an oblong shield in his left hand. The inscription would read VIIPOTAL if it were complete. Many of them are found in military camps.

Archived