CoinPeople.com

Shipping to Russia?

Rhino

I recently sold a couple imperial rouble coins on ebay and the high bidder turned out to be a bidder from Russian with very good feedback as a buyer (803 positive, none negative). My concern is that I've read so much about things going horribly wrong with shipping to Russia, mail getting stolen, buyers lying about not getting the item, etc., that my question is what do I do to make sure this all goes OK?

Ship registered? Or would that just increase the chance of the mail people stealing it?

Ship regular and hope it makes it there?

Cancel the auction and second-chance it to a US bidder?

Please share any shipping experience to Russia, thanks!

Is the recipient willing to pay for FedEx, UPS or DHL? Avoiding the Russian postal system significantly increases the chances of a successful delivery.

How much (roughly) would it cost to use FedEx or UPS or DHL? I normally go through the regular USPS.

I tried calculating UPS and FedEx using their online shipping calculators but I get stupid values like $165 to ship a letter... there is no way it can be that much.

I tried calculating UPS and FedEx using their online shipping calculators but I get stupid values like $165 to ship a letter... there is no way it can be that much.

I couldn't believe what you posted for rates either, so I calculated delivery to Moscow, and yes...$146!?! I guess it's $20 for the shipping, $26 for a good bottle of vodka, and $100 for the customs bribe.

Those rates are ridiculous. Even registered International First Class is less than $15 to Russia via USPS.

From time to time I'm sending coins to Russia.

It is allways registered letter - as Russian post has tracking system and it works

normaly. I don't think you have to be worry to much... As you have the proof of sending

and tracking number everything is OK from your side.

The only thing that sucks is time... If you are sending to Moscow - it will take probably 1 month !!! to deliver your letter to the other places 1,5 and more !!!! - I was sending to my friend in Perm and it took almost 2 months for registered letter. To tell the trouth I don't know why.. :confus: Because letter left my country in 2 days and than for 1 month there was no info whats going on... The only place in Russia that letters are coming faster is Sant Petersburg. Miracle !! :yahoo:

Generally - don't be afraid - registered letter and after it will leave your country the problem is on the other side.

I recently sold a couple imperial rouble coins on ebay and the high bidder turned out to be a bidder from Russian with very good feedback as a buyer (803 positive, none negative). My concern is that I've read so much about things going horribly wrong with shipping to Russia, mail getting stolen, buyers lying about not getting the item, etc., that my question is what do I do to make sure this all goes OK?

Ship registered? Or would that just increase the chance of the mail people stealing it?

First, make sure the buyer pays using PayPal--that way you and the buyer have PayPal seller/buyer protection in case something goes wrong. Second, don't be afraid to use USPS: their parcels sail through customs, while FedEx and UPS can get stuck for days. Send registered Priority or insured Express, and you'll be fine.

Registered is the way to go, it will be about $13 and has to be in a flat cardboarded envelope with no bubble wrap etc. I have never had problems with registereds going to Russia, slow really is the only factor. Sounds like your buyer is reasonable from the feedback and knows the drill about it being slow etc.

I trade coins with a guy there, and we ship some pretty high value stuff back and forth since 1997 and never any problems other than the usual slow mail because registereds travel on the pack mule and not the jet.

I couldn't believe what you posted for rates either, so I calculated delivery to Moscow, and yes...$146!?! I guess it's $20 for the shipping, $26 for a good bottle of vodka, and $100 for the customs bribe.

Those rates are ridiculous. Even registered International First Class is less than $15 to Russia via USPS.

I just made same calculation for UPS from NYC to Moscow ($1000 value, half a pound weight) - totalled around $115.

Then I repeated calculation changing destination to Germany - the result is $95.

Maybe, vodka is cheaper in Germany, or maybe German customs officers take less bribes ($80 instead $100) ?

Better ship registered and insured.

One coin which I bought recently at internet-auction was shipped from Samara to Moscow by EMS and was lost... of course, I regret about losing this coin really much... but at least it was insured for 110% of it's cost ($800).

ems-lost1.jpg

ems-lost2.jpg

About a year ago a high bidder turned out to be from Moscow. He wanted the $300 coin by registered letter, prepaying by paypal. I shipped from Germany and got positive feedback very soon, so the coin must have arrived safely :yes: Sigi

-

Ship always to Russia only by registered mail. Write to buyer, that non insured shipping is on the buyer own risk. I ship to Russia more than 5 years, and I haven`t got problems with it. Usually shipping time is 2 weeks. One time buyer received the letter from me after 2 months.

After the first month, I have sent inquiry to Estonian post service, they have transferred inquiry about parcel search to Russian post servise. Russian post has found a parcel in a current of month, and delivered to the addressee.

Good luck!

Archived