CoinPeople.com

Concorde lovers would so love this...

gxseries

Well, just a story that I read it off here and that reminded me quite a few things.

News Link

I guess most of us weren't lucky enough to fly in a concorde :/ Nevertheless, if I recall properly, there only happened to be 4 countries who were fortunate enough to operate concordes, namely France, UK, ex-USSR (redubbed as the Concordski), and Singapore (yes, I am not joking): Link A real pity that they didn't get many opporunities to operate such routes

I was also reminded that Singapore did release banknotes of the concorde, even though the flight didn't exist for a long time (could be the only country who did so), which could be found here:

SingaporeP12-20Dollars-(1979)-donatedth_f.jpg

SingaporeP12-20Dollars-(1979)-donatedth_b.jpg

(Gotta thank Ron for that)

Now back to the concorde story, we all know that the ex-Soviet and the British-French Concordes are both "extinct". There are talks that Boeing was interested in taking a look at the Soviet Concordski and appearently trying to modify them to minimize cost. But now with this recent news of the French-Japanese joint, this to me spells a major trouble to Boeing, as we know Boeing uses Japanese components in their aircrafts due to their extreme precision. Would this spell out major race between the two powers again? :ninja:

Or rather, would this also mean more commemorative concorde images on either banknotes or coins too? ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aidan Work

The 'Concordski' was actually built by the Tupolev company.I don't know

how long it lasted in service,nor where it flew.Like the Concorde,the Concordski was retired from service after one crashed.

Aidan.

Tu-144 was Soviet SST Aircraft, it first flew in 1968, three months before the Franco British Concorde. So westerners will refer to it as a knockoff, but in reality it flew first so maybe the Concorde was the knockoff.

Tu-144 saw limited airline service, mostly Moskva - Tashkent, and Vladivostok from 1975-1977. A crash in Tashkent ended the career of the TU-144 in airline service. Only one was preserved as a flying example, this was SSSR-77114, now RA-77114. This aircraft was flown jointly by Boeing and Tupolev as a test bed a/c for a proposed SST to have been built jointly by Boeing and the Tupolev Bureau.

The rest of the aircraft were either scrapped or lying on the perimetres of airports in and around Moskva sinking into the ground.

Archived