CoinPeople.com

Return of the Tyee

bill

I don't collect Canadian coins as habit, but I have a few. A friend recently gave me a couple as a retirement gift. I haven't paid much attention to Canadian coins since I don't actually collect them, but I found one, the Return of the Tyee (salmon), to be one of the most beautiful coins in my collection. The three dollar commemorative coin is struck in silver with the reverse high lights in gold and rose gold. Damn, I wish the US would design a few with this level of quality.

5007172722_99147f2a82_b.jpg

Speaking of which we had an abnormally large sockeye salmon run this year.

Up by Campbell River on Vancouver Island they have something called the Tyee club, which is a sort of honorary thing if you land a large one (minimum 30 lbs). I think 55 made the cut this year.

It is a beautiful coin IMO. I have a few of them, & I just bought my 3rd $3 2010 Square coin, The Owl it's silver with gold plating & is the second time the mint has made a square $3.00 coin. The firstis called 'the beaver' & if you can find one for sale it'll cost you in excess of $200.00 to buy.

That is gorgeous (definitely the work of a good photographer too). How do they do the different tonings?

Thank you (first part). I don't know (second part). The technology is certainly interesting and I wouldn't mind seeing it in person some day.

Archived