CoinPeople.com

JRNS magazine in hard cover

Timofei

Hi,

I have full set of JRNS library from the first issue to 89. Loose leaflets are Ok for casual reading, but sometimes it is quite a mess. I am thinking if it is a good idea or not to arrange in some kind of hard cover. I wonder if anybody did that and what it may look like.

Hi,

I have full set of JRNS library from the first issue to 89. Loose leaflets are Ok for casual reading, but sometimes it is quite a mess. I am thinking if it is a good idea or not to arrange in some kind of hard cover. I wonder if anybody did that and what it may look like.

The former editor, Randolph Zander, had his copies of the Journal bound into book form. I have

no doubt that others have done so as well though I have not. Timofei has a good point, however,

in that bound periodicals are more useful in the long run than loose copies.

I might add that Journal 90 was mailed the last week of August and ought to have been delivered

to all RNS members by now.

For those interested in the strange rules of the U.S. Post Office, I will mention one of the problems

faced by the recent Journal. The present rate of postage in the U.S. for one ounce is 44 cents, with

17 cents for each additional ounce. This means 61 cents for 2 ounces, 78 cents for 3 ounces, and

95 cents for 4 ounces. Well, not quite. The Journal, when mailed, is just under 4 ounces (113.4 grams)

but costs $1.39 to mail; the reason is that anything weighing over 3.5 ounces is considered a package

and subject to a surcharge.

RWJ

Hi,

1. I know couple dozens of collectors who have journals but no one made them hardbound.

2. I knew that Randolph Zander had his copies bound in.

3. Since I have my copies loose, I like them to be this way, however thinking of binding them comes to my mind from time to time.

4. To RWJ, - strange thing also happens when "first class mail" at some points becomes a priority mail automatically with its rate.

5. The only one inconvenience of binding journals as I see it is that if someone ask me to copy one article - it would be a big pain for me to do that :art:

One-kuna

5. The only one inconvenience of binding journals as I see it is that if someone ask me to copy one article - it would be a big pain for me to do that :art:

Well, now with PayPal option available for the Society, I think it will be very easy to order digitized copy directly from the web-site if one needs to have an article.

However, I feel that JRNS with its long history is absolutely best periodical made for collectors and by collectors - it is 'a must have' for everybody. There is so huge amount of information that sometimes I forget that I have read something. But once fetched from the bookshelf, I will surely have a discovery or two inside )

There is one inconvenience only - we do not have searchable index of information contained in the journal. I started to make one years ago, but it is still no far than 30% complete - I doubt it will be soon for the lack of time.

Well, now with PayPal option available for the Society, I think it will be very easy to order digitized copy directly from the web-site if one needs to have an article.

However, I feel that JRNS with its long history is absolutely best periodical made for collectors and by collectors - it is 'a must have' for everybody. There is so huge amount of information that sometimes I forget that I have read something. But once fetched from the bookshelf, I will surely have a discovery or two inside )

There is one inconvenience only - we do not have searchable index of information contained in the journal. I started to make one years ago, but it is still no far than 30% complete - I doubt it will be soon for the lack of time.

1. not every one speaks (at least write) like you in english :bthumbsup: , and as I know the most collectors in Russia do not, so the language is always a little (!) barrier.

2. for last few months I personanly received couple requests to make a copy of articles JRNS for collectors from Russia, particularly one from your forum and another one from other.

3. JRNS is the best wordl-wide periodic dealing with russian materials, even sometimes criticsless but the volume of information presented covers all minuses it has, also remember that journal is supported by NONE-profit organization;

it is Steve Moulding's own effort to volunteerly maintains the RUSSIAN NUMISMATIC SOCIETY website found at www.russiannumismaticsociety.org :art::art::art::art::art:

4. it happened to me and my frieds as well - once I read - soon I can forget, and because of not having a friendly index there - it sometimes hard to find the number (subject) looking for; in addition, the existing partial index is in english but my brain is still russian - here we comes to another hassle :wallbash:

5. I am glad to here and the JRNS' editor probably proud of that - that some Russian collectors have such high interest in JRNS :clapping:

Archived