CoinPeople.com

Ebsen Metcalf Collection of Russian Platinum

kaban

Hello, does anybody on this forum know anything about Buddy Ebsen colelction that included some rare Russian platinum coins of mid-XIX century? It was sold of in an auction in CA in 1987

Anybody has a catalogue from that auction or knows where to find it? How did Buddy come to own these rare coins kind of curious given such low mintage numbers for those? Were they even authentic I wonder

Hello, does anybody on this forum know anything about Buddy Ebsen colelction that included some rare Russian platinum coins of mid-XIX century? It was sold of in an auction in CA in 1987

Anybody has a catalogue from that auction or knows where to find it? How did Buddy come to own these rare coins kind of curious given such low mintage numbers for those? Were they even authentic I wonder

i keep records of auction catalogs for last few years and this name is absent in my list;

what firm was auctioned this collection, where did you hear about it, any more info? :ninja:

i keep records of auction catalogs for last few years and this name is absent in my list;

what firm was auctioned this collection, where did you hear about it, any more info? :ninja:

Its been auctioned of by Superior Galleries 1987

The Edwards Metcalf and Buddy Ebsen Collections Sale: June 7, 8, 9, 10, 1987

Its been auctioned of by Superior Galleries 1987

The Edwards Metcalf and Buddy Ebsen Collections Sale: June 7, 8, 9, 10, 1987

if you can come to New York, visit ANS library, this catalog there :ninja:

if you can come to New York, visit ANS library, this catalog there :ninja:

Not exactly something i can swing in a day, but willd efinately keep in mind. Thank you for the information though. Much appreciated! But do you know anyhting about the colelction itself? How did it come about. I am sure Budy Ebsen had the $$ to buy those coins but where/how. Many rare 6-12 roubles especially.

if you can come to New York, visit ANS library, this catalog there ;)

jst double check my records - there is, but no more data I can share with :ninja:

Not exactly something i can swing in a day, but willd efinately keep in mind. Thank you for the information though. Much appreciated! But do you know anyhting about the colelction itself? How did it come about. I am sure Budy Ebsen had the $$ to buy those coins but where/how. Many rare 6-12 roubles especially.

well, this is a good question, but the collection what you asking for is not of high importance

like few others very well known here in West, covering platimum as well;

this collection can be estimated as a fine selection of platinums :ninja:

well, this is a good question, but the collection what you asking for is not of high importance

this collection can be estimated as a fine selection of platinums :ninja:

those let say old catalogs always had a forward describing the collector biography

if by the chance someone have it and make a scan for you ;)

this collection can be estimated as a fine selection of platimums :ninja:

Thank you for your responses. Much appreciated. I was just curious if coins in that collection are ligit (authentic) I did come in contact with ellegedly one of the coins from that collection couple of months ago and was curious. Thanks again!

Thank you for your responses. Much appreciated. I was just curious if coins in that collection are ligit (authentic) I did come in contact with ellegedly one of the coins from that collection couple of months ago and was curious. Thanks again!

you are welcome :ninja:

i can get you a catalog if you want it, let me know in my PM ;)

Metcalf collected platinum coinage since 1940s. This sale included not only a very good run of Russian platinum coins, but also almost all the know Russian medals/jetons in platinum, such as coronation of Nicholas I (he did not have Catherine II jeton for Peter I monument). There are also a few nice Russian silver coins there - one is an impressive Sun rouble Novodel in Choice Proof! I discovered this sale about 3 years ago. Until then I knew nothing about it as well.

I am pretty sure in Moscow you can obtain the catalog from adacoins.ru . On the other hand, I am sure one-kuna can get it for you too.

Metcalf collected platinum coinage since 1940s. This sale included not only a very good run of Russian platinum coins, but also almost all the know Russian medals/jetons in platinum, such as coronation of Nicholas I (he did not have Catherine II jeton for Peter I monument). There are also a few nice Russian silver coins there - one is an impressive Sun rouble Novodel in Choice Proof! I discovered this sale about 3 years ago. Until then I knew nothing about it as well.

I am pretty sure in Moscow you can obtain the catalog from adacoins.ru . On the other hand, I am sure one-kuna can get it for you too.

Thank you, Igor. Information much appreciated especially since this sale has such a poor coverage

Archived