CoinPeople.com

eBay 37 Rouble "As Is

jroc

I think there was a thread on this coin before.

In my opinion it's fake. Also if you are spending 26K and have no return option that raises flags, and the seller is from Israel, nothing against Israel, but too many fakes come from there.

:ninja:

I think there was a thread on this coin before.

In my opinion it's fake. Also if you are spending 26K and have no return option that raises flags, and the seller is from Israel, nothing against Israel, but too many fakes come from there.

:ninja:

How could any seller think that anyone in their right mind would pay $26000 for a coin and not insist that it be in a PCGS/NGC slab? Or for that matter, if the seller doesn't have it slabbed, that immediately says "fake" to me in today's counterfeit environment.

Marv

How could any seller think that anyone in their right mind would pay $26000 for a coin and not insist that it be in a PCGS/NGC slab? Or for that matter, if the seller doesn't have it slabbed, that immediately says "fake" to me in today's counterfeit environment.

Marv

I also believe the ebay coin is not genuine.

That said, there are many rare and/or choice coins which are genuine, and not slabbed. But such things would most likely not be offered on ebay.

I also believe the ebay coin is not genuine.

That said, there are many rare and/or choice coins which are genuine, and not slabbed. But such things would most likely not be offered on ebay.

My point was, if you're going to seriously consider buying an expensive coin sight unseen, and with that term, I include coins seen only by picture, you at least want it slabbed by PCGS or NGC, and even with that, with a very expensive coin, you want a provenance, a history of where it came from, and, if it were I, I would want to deal with an escrow agent, a recognized authority in the field such as a well known dealer in Russian coins who would act as an intermediary to determine if the coin was genuine, and if so, disburse the money to the seller only following the determination.

Russia has such a long history of coin collecting, it would be a very suspect event to have a very rare coin just pop up out of nowhere with no provenance.

Marv

My point was, if you're going to seriously consider buying an expensive coin sight unseen, and with that term, I include coins seen only by picture, you at least want it slabbed by PCGS or NGC, and even with that, with a very expensive coin, you want a provenance, a history of where it came from, and, if it were I, I would want to deal with an escrow agent, a recognized authority in the field such as a well known dealer in Russian coins who would act as an intermediary to determine if the coin was genuine, and if so, disburse the money to the seller only following the determination.

Russia has such a long history of coin collecting, it would be a very suspect event to have a very rare coin just pop up out of nowhere with no provenance.

Marv

What you say makes a great deal of sense and I do not necessarily disagree. I am just not as impressed by the fact that a coin is in a slab (and am also not inclined to buy coins on ebay).

how about forget the auction conditions and compare the dies to the known ones :ninja:

Archived