CoinPeople.com

The World’s Most Expensive Asian Banknote Sold at Spink action

advantage

Today Spink’s World Banknotes auction featured numerous rarities which realized unbelievable prices. Without a shadow of a doubt, the highlight of the sale was a collection of the first ever Malaysian banknotes. The lot was purchased for an amazing £115,100, four times the original estimate, which broke Spink’s previously held record for the most expensive Asian Banknotes sold ever at auction.

The banknotes were a gift presented by Ismail Mohd Ali, on behalf of the Board of Governors of Bank Negara Malaysia, to the (fourth) King of Malaysia, Tuanku Ismail Nasiruddin Shah. They are preserved in a blue leather presentation album with the title Bank Negara Malaysia and arms in gold on the front cover. The folder contains the following: 1 ringgit, blue and multicoloured, 5 ringgit, green and multicoloured, 10 ringgit, blue and multicoloured, 50 ringgit, blue and multicoloured and 100 ringgit, purple and multicoloured, all ND (1967), serial number A/1 000001, all with portrait of Yang Di- Pertuan Agong, TuAnku Abdul Rahman, first King of Malaysia, at right, all are signed by Ismail Mohd Ali, value at centre and at each corner, all notes are mounted in card with gold border (Tan M 27, 28, 29, 30, 31). There is also a second presentation album containing 1000 ringgit, ND (1968), serial number A/1 000001, purple and multicoloured, portrait of Yang Di- Pertuan Agong, TuAnku Abdul Rahman, first king of Malaysia at right, signed by Ismail Mohd- Ali, value at centre and each corner, mounted in card with gold trim (Tan M 32).

Palestinian notes also fetched enormous prices in the sale with some lots going for as much as twelve times the initial estimate. Lot 1008, a Palestine, Currency Board, specimen 500 mils dated 30 September 1929, sold for £13,900, a far cry from the original estimate of £750-1,000. This lot was followed shortly thereafter with the shattering of yet another world record at auction for Spink. Lot 1071, a Currency Board £50 dated 30 September 1929 received a round of applause when sold for £80,600, a world record price for a Palestinian Banknote.

The sale totaled £1,187,565

spink_malaysian_notes_1_.jpg

There was a Spink aucition today? Where was this held? I wasn't aware of one going on, and just checked their website and don't see anything!!!

Some quick research reveals that the article copy and pasted is very old. It is in Spink's 2007 News Archive... :ninja:

http://www.spink.com/news/current_news/7024.asp

thedeadpoint - ??? ;)

Just saying that you've got a great taste in notes and I wouldn't have been too surprised if it was you who bought the priciest Asian notes! :ninja:

Just saying that you've got a great taste in notes and I wouldn't have been too surprised if it was you who bought the priciest Asian notes! :ninja:

great taste also must come with a deep pocket. I don't have that deep a pocket. ;)

I love it when people ask me how much I paid for certain items. It is as though sometimes I believe all sense of privacy and etiquette have left the building. It is IMHO unsavory to discuss people buying stuff, how much they allegedly spent etc.

Stepping down from my soap box in speakers' corner now...

Just saying that you've got a great taste in notes and I wouldn't have been too surprised if it was you who bought the priciest Asian notes! ;)

One more thing to add. If I do recently add a banknote into my collection, I will be excited to showcase it in coinpeople forum. Unfortunately, those world's most expensive asian banknotes sold in Spink are not ordinary buyers. They are either heavy weight investors or die-die-also-must-get-it collectors. I don't think I fit in any of the two categories. I find great satisfaction when I purchase something cheap, good and flow well into my collection theme. :ninja:

Archived