CoinPeople.com

5 kopecks (pyatak), 1778/7-EM

bobh

This coin of mine is listed in the Brekke 1997 supplement as overdate no. 64 / Brekke 236 (with earlier eagle type -- but it is NOT an Avesta coin!). It looks a little like a double strike, however. I bought it on eBay a few months ago, and it was not advertised as being special. However, I noticed the overdate immediately and decided to buy it.

The condition is possibly F (but I think more like VF ;) ) with a clear overdate 1778/1777. The outlines of St. George and the dragon are very clear, but the details within are worn. The eagle wings show some detail, but also worn. The reverse also shows a double right-hand end of the scroll next to the edge of the coin, and the underdate final "7" on the obverse side is much lower than the other digits (approx. 0.5 - 1 mm lower). The edge is normal for this date and mint mark (netted edge, Brekke No. 5). As a regular coin, i.e. with no overdate, it is a common coin. As an overdate, the supplement gives it a dot (i.e. scarce, but not rare), but unfortunately without special pricing. Size and weight are fairly normal for this type.

I'll try to get pictures up, but it will be at least 2-3 weeks because I have to go to the hospital on Apr. 5 for a minor operation and won't be home until a week later.

Anyone else have a similar coin?

Sigi??? :ninja:

This coin of mine is listed in the Brekke 1997 supplement as overdate no. 64 / Brekke 236 (with earlier eagle type -- but it is NOT an Avesta coin!). It looks a little like a double strike, however. I bought it on eBay a few months ago, and it was not advertised as being special. However, I noticed the overdate immediately and decided to buy it.

The condition is possibly F (but I think more like VF ;) ) with a clear overdate 1778/1777. The outlines of St. George and the dragon are very clear, but the details within are worn. The eagle wings show some detail, but also worn. The reverse also shows a double right-hand end of the scroll next to the edge of the coin, and the underdate final "7" on the obverse side is much lower than the other digits (approx. 0.5 - 1 mm lower). The edge is normal for this date and mint mark (netted edge, Brekke No. 5). As a regular coin, i.e. with no overdate, it is a common coin. As an overdate, the supplement gives it a dot (i.e. scarce, but not rare), but unfortunately without special pricing. Size and weight are fairly normal for this type.

I'll try to get pictures up, but it will be at least 2-3 weeks because I have to go to the hospital on Apr. 5 for a minor operation and won't be home until a week later.

Sigi??? :ninja:

Adrianov's catalog on Copper coins listed many new overdates (not listed in Brekke or the supplement). The overdate discovery project is still carrying on. One of the russian coin forum sites has a very large thread where people are posting overdates. Adrianov also posts his catalog updates there.

As many things in Russian numismatics, overdates were not well documented. And, as it turned out, practically every year of Ekaterinburg 5 kopeeks series has some overdates. It is a fun project, and yours truly has so far contributed 3 previously undocumented overdates!

Sigi??? ;)

Hi Bob, as you say the coin is #64 in the 1997 Brekke/Bakken update. It then should be the 1777 eagle. I don't have it, I don't care much about overdates, even thinking of weeding mine out by and by. As to value - difficult to say. Grade is very important and as you say your coin is not too choice. The dot in the catalog was also given to the 5kop1781/0 but you rarely encounter a 1781 not over 0.

Let's see the pictures when you have the time. In the meantime, take it easy. As far as I know the high standard in Swiss hospitals allows them to choose their nurses. They only take the nicest among the :ninja: beautiful - enjoy. Best, Sigi

Archived