CoinPeople.com

Opinions on 1901-AR gold 5 roubles

bobh

What do you think of this one...

1901-AR gold 5 roubles

What are the chances that it isn't really AR but FZ mintmaster? Can't tell without cracking it out!

And the condition is certainly nowhere near MS-64 with that big scratch on the bust. :ninja:

I won't be buying it ... too risky for me (I already have one, albeit only in VF).

1901-AR gold 5 roubles

What are the chances that it isn't really AR but FZ mintmaster? Can't tell without cracking it out!

And the condition is certainly nowhere near MS-64 with that big scratch on the bust. ;)

I won't be buying it ... too risky for me (I already have one, albeit only in VF).

*you know that this grading service is a shmack

*i was wondering if you know the following: foreigners used "the gold blockade" the yong russian republic staring from 1923 and russians minted instead of unpopular chervonets 1923 - the old Nicholas II imperial gold coins - 600 hundred thousand pieces in 10 rubles in december 1925, in march 1926 - 1 milllion 411 hundred thousand of gold 10 rubles and 1 million of 5 rubles pieces (from book M Gleizer Sovetsky chervonets, 1993) ??

*i am looking at Nicholas II gold coins (5 & 10 rubles) with my distrust :ninja:

600 hundred thousand pieces in 10 rubles in december 1925, in march 1926 - 1 milllion 411 hundred thousand of gold 10 rubles and 1 million of 5 rubles pieces (from book M Gleizer Sovetsky chervonets, 1993) ??

I didn't know ... but it could very well explain why 1909 gold 5 roubles are so common. Bitkin also says that 1899 and 1911 gold ten rouble coins were struck in great quantities after the October revolution.

Do you have the publisher information for the Gleizer book/article?

I didn't know ... but it could very well explain why 1909 gold 5 roubles are so common. Bitkin also says that 1899 and 1911 gold ten rouble coins were struck in great quantities after the October revolution.

Do you have the publisher information for the Gleizer book/article?

*the paragraph was taken from M Gleizer book "Sovetsky chervonets" 1993, but I think he made a second updated edition:

http://www.rucollect.ru/forum?func=view&am...d=12&id=191

*I wish that could be possible to get the quantity of each year restruck by bolsheviks from that amout :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...

An update on this subject/topic, and FYI to everyone.

This coin was purchased by a long time customer of mine from the overseas.

He asked me if this coin could be safely sent to my (that is, USA-based) home address, and being examined by me.

Got the coin, broke the slab, IT IS common "FZ"!!!

Currently having sort of "quadripartite" (the buyer, eBay, me, and the seller 16or) "debates".

eBay quickly ruled out this coin should be sent back to seller by April 9 with tracking information.

The coin was sent back to seller on April 5, insured for $300, with return receipt + signature request.

By all signs, the seller DID know about "mistake" made by ICG.

I can post all images made, as well as all emails exchanged between us, if necessary.

Will try to keep coinpeople community posted about the outcome, etc.

1901-AR gold 5 roubles

And the condition is certainly nowhere near MS-64 with that big scratch on the bust. :ninja:

Bobh always has had the best instincts.

He asked me if this coin could be safely sent to my (that is, USA-based) home address, and being examined by me.

Got the coin, broke the slab, IT IS common "FZ"!!!

Currently having sort of "quadripartite" (the buyer, eBay, me, and the seller 16or) "debates".

eBay quickly ruled out this coin should be sent back to seller by April 9 with tracking information.

The coin was sent back to seller on April 5, insured for $300, with return receipt + signature request.

By all signs, the seller DID know about "mistake" made by ICG.

I can post all images made, as well as all emails exchanged between us, if necessary.

Will try to keep coinpeople community posted about the outcome, etc.

It will be very interesting to know the final outcome.

UPDATE ON THE CASE.

The case is closed, at least for now. And the seller gets away both with coin and with the money. Details are below.

It turns out either whole USPS, or some of its employees, have a "funny" approach towards tracking of insured 1st class small packages. Adding some more extra services apart from insurance, like "certified mail", "signature confirmation", would be helpful. But there is a "trick" here,- see details below. Furthermore, USPS probably (?) assumes (?) something like this: "well, since we require a signature of recipient for any 1st class items insured for over $200 (that is, 1st class packages bearing "BLUE" insurance label), we

1) ...do NOT do "certified mail" on those 1st class packages of ANY size if they are ALREADY insured for more than $200 (OK, IMHO fine, as long as tracking number from "blue" insurance slip is possible to track online),

2) We do not do "delivery confirmation" or "signature confirmation" on any SMALL 1st class packages, whether insured or not. And we, USPS, provide you with no logical or any other explanation as to why we have such regulations.

3) ..."AND, we will NOT provide any online tracking information from that "blue" insurance label in REAL life (well, we do promise we'll provide it, but we don't bother doing it in reality, at least in this particular case)".

Apparently, eBay/PayPal has a different thought about it. That is, eBay closed the case just like that because, quote: "We were unable to confirm delivery of the item with the tracking you provided. You will not be refunded and the case is closed." end of quote.

No request for additional information, no nothing.

I will be waiting for the arrival of a signed return receipt, and we have a tiny hope of re-opening the case with eBay based on that.

I have added/paid for that return receipt "just in case", in addition to $300 insurance.

Once again, for those who are still in doubt, it is NOT possible, at least at my local postal office, to send USPS first class package of ANY size by certified mail IF you ALREADY insure it for more than $200. Also, once again,- it is NOT possible to purchase/add just "signature confirmation" or "delivery confirmation" to a first class mail SMALL package (it should be either a larger "Parcel", or it has to be sent at least by Priority mail) either at www.usps.com or when you come up in person to my local USPS office. Those kinds of services do exist even for "SMALL" 1st class packages, but only for eBay items paid by PayPal AND when seller prints out shipping label THROUGH PayPal from his/her home computer (that is, eBay/PayPal and USPS have some special deal/negotiation about eBay items sent as 1st class packages within USA).

BOTTOM LINE, and advice to those who may get in such unfortunate situation with eBay seller(s) in the future, and who would return the item back to, h-mmm, "noncooperative" seller,-

1) Unless USPS will change some of its practices in the future, insurance could be completely useless when added to a 1st class "SMALL" package, or to a 1st class "envelope containing a rigid object". At least the one which is ABOVE $200. Because on one hand, it may NOT provide you with online tracking ability even though it should (theoretically). On the other hand, adding more than $200 insurance will deprive you from sending your item by Certified Mail.

2) You may still use USPS 1st class package rate. But you've got to make the size of your package big enough to be qualified as a "parcel", NOT as a "small package", and NOT as a "regular envelope containing a rigid object". This is because in case of a 1st class mail PARCEL you CAN add and combine virtually any "standard" extra service available at USPS, like "signature confirmation" (which, from my personal experience, does provide you with some online tracking ability in REAL life), etc.

3) IMHO, the best option for now,- do not send anything back to eBay seller for a refund by USPS 1st class mail, unless it is also registered. Use Priority + signature conformation (plus insurance if you like), or Express, or Registered. Or use a carrier other than USPS...

You had just to pay a few more $$$ for Priority Mail with Insurance and add Signature Confirmation or Delivery Confirmation, both of them enable internet tracking. But you decided to save 5 bucks or so. Hopefully, seller is a honest person and once receives your coin will issue a refund.

WCO

two negative on buying such coin are a low trust grading company and scratch coin :ninja:

2) You may still use USPS 1st class package rate. But you've got to make the size of your package big enough to be qualified as a "parcel", NOT as a "small package", and NOT as a "regular envelope containing a rigid object". This is because in case of a 1st class mail PARCEL you CAN add and combine virtually any "standard" extra service available at USPS, like "signature confirmation" (which, from my personal experience, does provide you with some online tracking ability in REAL life), etc.

And this is very easy to do. Once I brought a small bubble mailer that was too thin to qualify as a parcel. I wanted to use 1st class with delivery confirmation. A friendly postal worker told to just stuff it with something to make it thick enough. Then it became a parcel and here we go. So, simply use more wrapping/lining material and even a small padded envelope can be used to make a "parcel".

Archived