CoinPeople.com

1741 Ruble

Rhino

Saw this listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I am interested in getting a Rouble from that time period for my collection, but I am not knowledgeable enough to see if it is a fake or not. Especially when the seller says he's not sure if it is authentic, either, it makes me unsure. What do you guys think?

I know his pictures are bad, and are at a weird angle, but any opinion is appreciated :ninja:

I'm pretty sure it's a fake. When a Seller tells you that he's not sure of authenticity and not providing any good quality pictures, there's 99% it's fake. And coin strike looks damn good for that period of time, the coin is perfectly round and details are very sharp in some areas. Moreover the clothes are competely different from the original. At least there's a return policy, you can push your luck... :ninja:

This coin is similar to this cheap copy: Another copy

;) Here's an original : 1135630407_56.jpg

Saw this listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I am interested in getting a Rouble from that time period for my collection, but I am not knowledgeable enough to see if it is a fake or not. Especially when the seller says he's not sure if it is authentic, either, it makes me unsure. What do you guys think?

I know his pictures are bad, and are at a weird angle, but any opinion is appreciated :ninja:

Here are the pictures in a more normal orientation. In my opinion, this coin looks like a fake.

ebay1741.gif

Thanks for the rotated pictures, grivna. Now that I look at the coin, it looks very different than the original when you look at the lettering around the bust, the way the letters come around is much shorter than the original and the "SPB" is too deep into the coin... I'm not taking any chances with this one, it looks like a headache in the making.

Thanks for the rotated pictures, grivna. Now that I look at the coin, it looks very different than the original when you look at the lettering around the bust, the way the letters come around is much shorter than the original and the "SPB" is too deep into the coin... I'm not taking any chances with this one, it looks like a headache in the making.

also if original do you have over ten grands for that?

i asked a seller why the picture is upside down, the answer was that sorry next time he will do better :ninja:

An original is $10,000 :ninja: ??

I seriously doubt an Ioann III rouble in such apparently low grade would bring $10,000. An original XF might bring that much, but not the piece shown, even if it was genuine (unless the market has suddenly gone completely crazy).

I seriously doubt an Ioann III rouble in such apparently low grade would bring $10,000. An original XF might bring that much, but not the piece shown, even if it was genuine (unless the market has suddenly gone completely crazy).

Here is a recent auction example for a much nicer example than the questionable ebay coin. The price realized is in Euros. LINK

Here is a recent auction example for a much nicer example than the questionable ebay coin. The price realized is in Euros. LINK

5500 Euros, wow...

If you look at the coin in that link, it looks more like the one being sold in that ebay auction than the one posted by russia-coins. Are there 2 varieties or something? I'm referring to the way the text wraps around the bust, and where it starts and begins...

I seriously doubt an Ioann III rouble in such apparently low grade would bring $10,000.

it shows again that this answer was without even looking the market price -

VF+ brought several times about ten grands last two years :ninja:

5500 Euros, wow...

If you look at the coin in that link, it looks more like the one being sold in that ebay auction than the one posted by russia-coins. Are there 2 varieties or something? I'm referring to the way the text wraps around the bust, and where it starts and begins...

There are multiple die varieties for Ioann III. The Grand Duke's corpus shows 16 different varieties for SPB alone, 3 for MMD.

Additionally, of the SPB issue, there are 2 of the 16 varieties that were struck on planchets that were edged for Anna hanging around the SPB mint at the time of her death. There were about 6,000 of these Anna blanks struck with Ioann's dies, and very few of them survive today.

reach idiot probably paid so much for scratched ruble - bad sample :ninja:

Archived