CoinPeople.com

Mercury Dimes - 1942/41 D

netFish

As an overdate, the 42 over 41 D is spectacularly clear. I owned one years ago and it was probably my favorite over date. Basically, a 1941 die received its second hubbing with the 1942 hub instead of the 1941 hub. See this link for a picture and brief explanation.

As an overdate, the 42 over 41 D is spectacularly clear. I owned one years ago and it was probably my favorite over date. Basically, a 1941 die received its second hubbing with the 1942 hub instead of the 1941 hub. See this link for a picture and brief explanation.

1942/41-P is much stronger and easier to spot with the naked eye than 1942/41-D. You can probably find nice pictures of both varieties in the Heritage auction archives (you'll need to sign up for a free account if you don't already have one before you can look at the larger images).

As with many items not immediately regonized, those types or error coins are sort of recent so the prices are based on mostly popularity and no information as to the quantity available. Not to long ago there was no slots in Albums for those 1942/41 and the D. Eventually the 42/41 was noticed and the amount became sufficient to add to Albums. Much later the 42D/41 was discovered and although it is really difficult to notice compared to the 42/41, they sort of went together so the manufacturers of Albums added that one too.

In reality there are numerous error coins or all sorts but only if the popularity is substantial, is it even noticed or documented in coin books. With the Mercury Dimes you may notice in the Red Book there are references to the large and small dates of several of them. Many more have been noticed but just don't get the popularity, so not mentioned. And for the ones mentioned, no prices given since no one really cares.

The 42/41 and the D are just popular, similar to the 1955 Lincoln Double Die. As popularity and the lack of a large quantity is realized, the prices go up.

Archived