CoinPeople.com

Imperial Russian Bond from 1891

I've noticed that many bonds from the Russian empire are available online for sale (and not too expensive), and have always wondered: Are these for real??

For example, here is one I was interested in: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/sub...alxtac/bond.jpg

It says it's from 1891, a 3% bond for 125 Roubles of gold - Could it really be in such a great shape, considering it's a 120 year old document? Are these bonds replicas or copies, reprints? The paper quality looks too good, and I'm a bit skeptical, but I've never talked to any bond collectors or anyone who has had an item like this, so any info would help...

Thanks!

Kind of hard to tell with a small sized image, and tilted sideways. But there are a lot of bonds that exist from that era in Russia because of the revolution, they were rendered worthless and not redeemed. I have one from 1914 that was due in 1928, but of course the Soviet government did not honour the Tsarist debts.

Most of the bonds were kept safely for many years in books, newspapers, magazines and etc, hidden somewhere in a box in the attic or under the floor, or elsewhere.. These were worth a bunch of money at those times and people tried to keep it safe. These are not like paper money or coins, they were not used everyday. People used (or were forced) to buy the bonds and tried to keep it for some time. However, the times and rulers changed in Russia often and with every new government new bonds were released, whilst the old ones lost their value. Now, the bonds once hid somewhere in the attic are often found by the grandchildren in great shape, unfortunately, worthless.

Most of the bonds were kept safely for many years in books, newspapers, magazines and etc, hidden somewhere in a box in the attic or under the floor, or elsewhere.. These were worth a bunch of money at those times and people tried to keep it safe. These are not like paper money or coins, they were not used everyday. People used (or were forced) to buy the bonds and tried to keep it for some time. However, the times and rulers changed in Russia often and with every new government new bonds were released, whilst the old ones lost their value. Now, the bonds once hid somewhere in the attic are often found by the grandchildren in great shape, unfortunately, worthless.

Very interesting. I can see how and why these are in such good condition.

Now my question is, how popular are these bonds? Do many people collect them? I love this bond, it looks great, and now I'm interested in getting more. This last bond I bought cost a ridiculously low price - $6 (at least, that's low in my opinion for a 120 year old document). Is that because it is not something a lot of people collect? Or did I just get a rare deal?

Very interested in someone answering those questions, I'm very interested in this issue... thanks for all the help so far.

• 1 month later...

Archived