CoinPeople.com

Arresting or moderating toning?

ikaros

Is there a relatively reliable way to either arrest, or control, the manner in which coins tone? I happened to take a look at my 2000 silver proofs and the silver coins are toning in a rather unpleasant way, turning a mucky red on the frosted surfaces and toning irregularly (and still mucky red) on the fields. The 2001s aren't toning at all yet; there's traces on the '03s and '04s, and they're going much more evenly -- and to a much nicer sort of honey brown instead of that blotchy red.

I don't mind the coins toning... I'd just like it to be more aesthetic.

I'll try to get some pictures; my camera's gone missing, though, and I can't scan the proof sets. Just hopin' for some general guidelines to work with here.

Most of the time controlling how they tone is a hit or miss deal. Just slowing or stopping it would probably be best. At least less chance of toning gone bad.

First are they individual coins? If so you can try getting some quality airtites. Either way individual or groups such as proof sets, mint sets etc. You need to look at how or where you are storing them. You may want to look at desiccants or something else to keep down moisture. Some woods do out gas also and can cause problems.

Most of the time controlling how they tone is a hit or miss deal. Just slowing or stopping it would probably be best. At least less chance of toning gone bad.

First are they individual coins? If so you can try getting some quality airtites. Either way individual or groups such as proof sets, mint sets etc. You need to look at how or where you are storing them. You may want to look at desiccants or something else to keep down moisture. Some woods do out gas also and can cause problems.

They're in their original US Mint proof cases; it seems to only be the quarters seriously affected. The dime and the half-dollar in the other case are not as far gone as the quarters are, and are toning in a much more aesthetic manner. Still struggling with getting a decent picture. :ninja:

That almost sounds like the same thing happened as these.

909553.jpg

A splotchy brown/red.

909554.jpg

Then comes the dime.

909555.jpg

The nickel turned a nice golden color

909556.jpg

And the cent a golden color also.

909557.jpg

I had desiccant in with them, probably not enough though. Ended up putting more in with them and so far its been stable.

That almost sounds like the same thing happened as these.

Almost. Looks like about the same color, though. In the fields, the toning is streaky and arranged radially outward, as if following stresses in the metal, and is more or less centeredand not getting much around the rim. Almost like there's a border at 'UNITED STATES OF AMERICA' 'QUARTER DOLLAR'. And it's much stronger on the frosted areas, getting all the way into brown on two of them.

And it's only on the obverse; the reverse shows very little toning. What there is, is concentrated at the edges rather than the center -- just the opposite.

Still can't find my good camera, so these are the best I can do -- it'll give you an idea of what they look like under various lighting, anyway:

phot0026u.jpgphot0029.jpg

I had desiccant in with them, probably not enough though. Ended up putting more in with them and so far its been stable.

That might be worth trying; it may be too late for them, though. If they were to get that color evenly and all over, that would be different -- maybe they'll get there eventually. The Delaware looks like it might go a sort of chocolate-red, which would also be nice.

I want to suspect the packaging more than the environment, because I keep them all together and the 2000 is the only one so affected. Only the Kentucky SQ in the '01 set shows even the faintest toning, and that's around the edge and looks like it wants to be purple when it grows up. My '63 set, still in its mint packaging, shows no toning of any sort on any coin.

The nickel turned a nice golden color

And the cent a golden color also.

Oh yeah -- and those two are just gorgeous. I like the way nickels and bronze cents tone better than silver, actually.

Archived