CoinPeople.com

Fake 1932-S quarter from PawnStars

Rhino

PawnStars (a show about a pawn shop and the items they get, for those who don't know) just had an episode with a fake 1932-S quarter. A lady came in with it, she said she got it in change about 27 years ago and held on to it, thinking it was worth about $1000. But, turns out that what someone did was take a regular 1932 quarter and added the S, making a counterfeit 1932-S. Lady looked pretty disappointed, but it would have been worse if she actually bought it :ninja:

Anyone else see the episode? Any thoughts?

By the way, if anyone has pictures of any clever or unique counterfeits you've encountered, feel free to post them.

PawnStars (a show about a pawn shop and the items they get, for those who don't know) just had an episode with a fake 1932-S quarter. A lady came in with it, she said she got it in change about 27 years ago and held on to it, thinking it was worth about $1000. But, turns out that what someone did was take a regular 1932 quarter and added the S, making a counterfeit 1932-S. Lady looked pretty disappointed, but it would have been worse if she actually bought it :ninja:

Anyone else see the episode? Any thoughts?

By the way, if anyone has pictures of any clever or unique counterfeits you've encountered, feel free to post them.

When they first showed the mint mark I thought problem.

Just to post a fake.

1775 Evasion George III half penny. A lot of contemporary counterfeits were made and used around this time.

958778.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have been looking at 1932 D and 1932 S quarters on FleaBay... I swear it looks as if several of them have had their mintmarks pasted on. Can you give me an idea of just how common it is to find these kind of fakes? And how one might detect them?

Archived