CoinPeople.com

Question for the Russian Banknote Collectors

Rhino

I know some of you guys collect Russian banknotes in addition to coins, so I figured you'd be best to know:

Any books/catalogs you would recommend that specifically focus on Russian banknotes? Specifically the time period of around 1870 to 1919...

I posted this in the "Russian Coins" section because the Banknote section did not have any resources or posts about anything Russian, so I figured it wouldn't get many responses there...

Thanks!

I know some of you guys collect Russian banknotes in addition to coins, so I figured you'd be best to know:

Any books/catalogs you would recommend that specifically focus on Russian banknotes? Specifically the time period of around 1870 to 1919...

I posted this in the "Russian Coins" section because the Banknote section did not have any resources or posts about anything Russian, so I figured it wouldn't get many responses there...

Thanks!

Title: Czarist Russian Paper Money 1769-1917

Author: Paatela, Hannu

Publisher: Holmasto Coins & Medals Company; Helsinki: 1980

ISBN: 9519925201

I bought my copy years ago & paid about $100 for it at the time.

Also Heritage had an auction devoted to Czarist paper money a few years back. I don't have the catalog at hand just now but I'm sure many others here will have it and be able to supply details.

I am not aware of any in the English language, but I have seen several of them for sale in bookstores in Russian language. They are of varying quality though, some are little more than black and white copy paper style books while others are slick catalogues with prices etc. Also sometimes I have seen them at coin fairs in Ukraine.

I have this one in English.

Title: Russian Bank Notes 1895 - 2003.

Author: Marcelo Gryckiewicz

Publisher: Buenos Aires, by author in 2004

ISBN: 987-43-7439-X

Nice book with a little bit of history, pictures, rarity ratings, valuations in US$. 290 pages.

Looks like you can buy one here (in Argentina) for $33 plus shipping:

http://www.numismaticapuntocom.com.ar/inde...ogin=&pass=

I am not aware of any in the English language, but I have seen several of them for sale in bookstores in Russian language. They are of varying quality though, some are little more than black and white copy paper style books while others are slick catalogues with prices etc. Also sometimes I have seen them at coin fairs in Ukraine.

Hey, that's one gorgeous avatar you got there ... where did you pick her up? :ninja:

It is a John S. Wallace engraving, I have a signed original printing by him. He worked for E A Wright, then Thomas De La Rue and finally the BEP for years and is long since retired now he is now 86 years old. During his time with the three companies above he engraved quite a few postage stamps and also engraved quite a few stock certificates.

Edited to add image...

barbarabyjohn.s.wallace.jpg

Thanks!

there are many books in russian on this period, depends if you want to spend much on books, because for myself, one book is not enough :ninja:

I'm just looking to get 1 book for now, and we'll see where it goes. I just need one good reference for Imperial Russian banknotes, since I already got the Bitkin book for coins. Now I need 1 for banknotes.

A friend of mine sent me a link to this Excel sheet with listings of all the different Imperial (and some soviet) notes and their apparent value:

http://www.bank-notes.netfirms.com/Russian%20Banknotes.xls

BUT I'm not sure how accurate the information is... it doesn't have any images, but it's listing the years, denominations, signatures, value... and seems pretty current. I'm just not sure if it's the actual value or the value someone put on the notes if they were selling them...

there are many books in russian on this period, depends if you want to spend much on books, because for myself, one book is not enough :ninja:

I'm just looking to get 1 book for now, and we'll see where it goes. I just need one good reference for Imperial Russian banknotes, since I already got the Bitkin book for coins. Now I need 1 for banknotes.

A friend of mine sent me a link to this Excel sheet with listings of all the different Imperial (and some soviet) notes and their apparent value:

http://www.bank-notes.netfirms.com/Russian%20Banknotes.xls

BUT I'm not sure how accurate the information is... it doesn't have any images, but it's listing the years, denominations, signatures, value... and seems pretty current. I'm just not sure if it's the actual value or the value someone put on the notes if they were selling them...

there is none complete book like Bitkin for papers, each is different;

a book what I like is

Kats/Malyshev Encyclopedia of russian paper money :ninja:

Archived