CoinPeople.com

Need ID on this

well i can't seem to find a date on this part of a religious medal :ninja:

seems to be made from bronze, IMHO it would grade fine

any ideas on the date would be helpful

974794.jpg

IMHO it is a Pope Paul VI medal.

From Wikipedia-

Pope Paul VI (Latin: Paulus PP. VI; Italian: Paolo VI), born Giovanni Battista Enrico Antonio Maria Montini (26 September 1897 – 6 August 1978), reigned as Pope of the Roman Catholic Church and Sovereign of Vatican City from 1963 to 1978. Succeeding Pope John XXIII, who had convened the Second Vatican Council, he decided to continue it. He fostered improved ecumenical relations with Orthodox, Anglicans and Protestants, which resulted in a number of historic meetings and agreements.

So, based on above the medal would be from 1963-1978

There is presently a medal on eBay for sale that has the same side (showing Pope) but different reverse side.

So, based on above the medal would be from 1963-1978

Although, I think, many were produced on the death of the subject and so it is very likely that this was produced from 1978-1982 too.

Apart from the obvious information that can be gleamed from the piece, i.e. the St Peter and St Paul reverse and Pope Paul VI obverse, I cannot offer any more information. Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Historically many were also produced during the Papal reign as well as after a Pope's death. So the medal could have just as easily been produced during his Papacy (1963-1978) as well as after his death in 1978. Many times a medal minted after a Pope's death would commemorate the years of his Papacy on the medal.

Archived