CoinPeople.com

Knights Templar

974495.jpg

Not the best looking medal in my collection and maybe not all that rare. Who knows? Maybe you do. The medal was issued for the 22nd Triennial Conclave of the Knights Templar in San Francisco, 1883. The obverse design draws on the medival seal for the Knights Templar while the reverse draws on the symbolism of Christ on the cross and his role as the son of God.

The seal of the medieval Knights Templar signifying their poverty.

Templarsign.jpg

On the reverse, the center cross is a crucifix (worn) with the crowned heart above. Lot's of Christioan symbolism packed into the design.

I guess the horse was not too happy about the extra weight, what with the 2 riders, shields, lances armour etc.

As a younger son who did not inherit his father's estates, Sir Hugh de Pagen (or Payens)(c. 1070–1136) the founder & Grand Master of the Knights Templar(1118-1136) and his second in command Godfrey(Godefroi Saint Omer) at first had only one horse between the two of them. This became the symbol of the Templars (two men on one horse). The Templars wore white surcoats with a red Maltese cross on the chest. However, so many people financed them that, eventually the Knights Templar became rich money lenders, and could therefore afford a horse for each knight.

• 3 months later...

I've noted a number of commemorative medals for the event since acquire the medal pictured above. I recently acquired the following silver medal for the same event:

978786.jpg

A similar gold token is listed in a current Stack's auction in gold.

Archived