CoinPeople.com

Israel Mints

sholly

I'm having a problem with trying to figure out the different Israeli mints. Krause books have the letter but do not tell us all the different mints and what I need to see to tell the different. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sholly

There are no mint marks on Israeli mints if my memory serves me well although they were minted at various different mints. Usually it is the specific commemorative issue or a part of the design that as well documented by the IGCMC - what an acroonym for Israel Government Coin and Medals Corporation. Over the years coins were minted by Jerusalem government mint, earlier Tel-Aviv mint (closed in 1065), in Utreht, Berne, Rome, by ICI in UK while later commemorative issues were struck also by San Francisco, Stuttgart and maybe a few other mints. Sylvia Heffner THE HISTORY OF MODERN ISRAEL's MONEY 1917-1970 provides a goodout line of the early coins, I have not been able to find comparably reach resource for later, especially latest coins. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to research, or just look up at my own coins - many of the COA's or info on the later booklet issues contain additional information on the mints.

Thanks again Santa. Sorry I hadn't gotten back sooner but things happen. Went to the web site Sheqel. It was very helpful except for the ones that have the same year and different mints without any marks. Oh well.

Thanks

Sholly

Archived