CoinPeople.com

An 1814 Sprinkle Medal

IMG_2740.jpgIMG_2743.jpg

Obv. WILLEM D.G.G. PRINS VAN ORANJE NASSAU *

Rev. SOUVEREIN VORST DER VEREENIGDE NEDERLANDEN * /GEHULDIGD / TE / AMSTERDAM / MDCCCXIV.

Bronze(also in silver) 23mm by Hendrix Lageman(1765-1816) struck in Utrecht at, the then newly renamed, 's Rijks Munt.

This is a 'sprinkle medal' for the 1814 Inauguration of Prince William of Orange as Sovereign Prince in Amsterdam, after the establishment of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands. These were sprinkled or scattered to the people in the crowd.

LINK and Translated LINK

Forrer's Vol III p268-7 Lageman Hendrix

1814 Inauguration of Prince William of Orange as Sovereign Prince (2 var.)

I assume this was a common 1800s (and earlier?) practise? I remember seeing a Napoleon medallet that was also said to have been tossed to the masses.

From ANA see LINK or read below:

"From the time of the Stuart kings up to the coronation of Queen Victoria, gold and silver medals were scattered randomly to the onlooking crowd during the coronation service. These official coronation medals were intended by the newly crowned king or queen to be an expression of largesse toward their royal subjects.

As the crowds for successive coronations grew larger, the cost of this generosity to the Royal Treasury grew as well. The mad dash for the medals among the onlookers also became increasingly "unseemly." According to one report of a near-riot during the coronation of William IV, "It was a fine sight to see all the judges scrambling for medals, they appeared like so many rams in a pen, butting to get out . . . [the report] set the House of Commons in a roar, clapping, etc. Nothing could have been more ludicrous."

Edward VII would not allow such an untoward scene to ruin the splendor and gravity of his coronation. When he ascended the throne in 1901, he established a new tradition: medals were individually awarded as an honor to those individuals who assisted in the coronation ceremony; none were tossed to the crowd, nor have any been so distributed since"

This from a previous post of mine regarding bread, instead of medals, given to the poor;

IMG_2256.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

EX DECRETO COMITIORVM FLANDRIAE 1790.

Rev. JVGO AVSTRIACO EXCVSSO RELIGIONIS ET PATRIAE LIBERTATE VENDICATA SOLI DEO HONOR 1789, copper 33mm.

This token commemorates Flanders formal (January 4th 1790) Declaration of Independence, it is by Theodore Van Berckel, engraver at the Brussels Mint in silver & copper (De Coster # 903). The inscription on the reverse was used at the Inauguration Ceremony on a huge display.

From Société royale de numismatique de Belgique 'Revue Belge de Numismatique' (1903) Vol 59

( My Translation )

"In lieu of these tokens, distributed to the people at the Grand Ceremonial inauguration of The State of Flanders, the poor of the 17 parishes of the city were given bread to the value of 7 sols. This circumstance is important from the point of view of numismatics" A. de Witte.

This was a pretty common tradition. In the case of the following token it was sprinkled (I love that, sort of early trickle down economics and about as effective) when the Bourbons returned to Milan and Venice:

1815 1 Lira Commemorative

901640.jpg

22mm - Details

Bramsen - 2310

Milan - 879

1815 1 Lira Commemorative

901640.jpg

One I would like to add to my collection Vern. Very interesting because anyone would place it under exonumia as a medal unless, as you point out it, they were aware that it is a lira. One of those, is it a medal or is it a coin? Who really cares, put it in either category or put it in both, it is a fine historical piece of numismatics.

You have a silver example of the 'sprinkle' medal on your site but you forced me too look further to find the info regarding the engraver & where it was minted ;)

I also love "Since I have no catalogs that cover the Netherlands after they separated from Napoleon's care" :ninja:;) he was such a nice caring Gentleman.

Sprinkle medal.

Seen the thread on bread and this thread very good thread.

Just a comment a chosen leader give medals and also history of maundy they are the one who gives food, coins, medal to the poor or there people,they are the one who will feed the people a servant everyday,from the time of there appointment to those who wait in there coronation.

Medal awarded to those who deserve it like victorian or a reward to those who deserve it,the measurement is getting high.

Seen some about sprinkle topic on the web.

Sprinkle.

If the Leader is very wealthy He can bury His follower with rewards.

Good history.

Archived