CoinPeople.com

Coins of Tibet

mmarotta

My write-up on Coin Newbies (here) was based on an article that I wrote for Coin News, "Sacred Silver from the Roof of the World." That came from work that I did for a local dealer. He had a client who was an airline pilot. The client wanted to sell some coins, so I attributed the Tibetans. These were one of them.

Tibet Sho. Year 2 = 1822. 3.62 grams and 3.69 grams. Tao Kuang. Craig 93.

(Image removed 24Sept2010 - mm)

Two common tangkas of the Dode Mint, Y 13.8, 1914-1923. Billon. 9 dots. 4.08 and 4.18 grams.

BRANG PHYA (15) RN M RGYA LA DGAH LADN PHA 57.

(BRANG PHYOGS LAS RNAM RGYA-LA DGAH LDAN PHO)

Or, as Kann renders it: "In the year (year) from the Palace of Celestial Beatitude."

(Coin on the right was purchased from Liberty Coin Service in 1972.)

3 srang silver and 5 sho copper

Obverses shown below

3 Srang year 16-10 = 1936

11.47 grams

Y-26 Tapchi Mint

5 Sho Y 28.1 Tapchi Mint

Copper 8.7 rgams

Year 16-23 = 1949.

I like coins of Tibet, a bit hard to identify though :ninja: I once had these identified, but cannot remember what they were - I know one of them was very old, early 18th C? Can you identify them for me?

Your pics are way better than my old Krause catalog! The first one, I think, is from Nepal. You have the top one upside down. The centerpiece is supposed to be an up-pointing sword. That's Nepal. Tibetan monks were not into swords ... which is why they had to hire a Chinese army to deal with Katmandu over the problem of "black tangkas" debased below 50% silver. Anyway, it looks like a Mohar of Kathmandu of ruler Jaya Prakash Malla two reigns from 1735-1768 Krause KM 259 for the catalogue number. But could be the next, Jyoti Prakash Malla whose reign was between those two 1746-1750. KM 280 or 281 or 282. Again, your scans are far better than my book's reproductions.

The second coin is tougher. It is Tibet and yes 18th century, we think. You can find them in the catalog. The thing is that the Lantsha script used on coins does not translate by the same rules as the Lantsha script from scrolls. At least, that's what I was told by Colin Bruce II and even though I found a book, I could never make the inscriptions come out to anything, so apparently, he is right. Other coins -- the Kong Par and Ga-den tangkas and the rest -- do use the common Sanskrit alphabet, but the one you show are Lantsha. In my book, they do not even have Craig numbers, but are grouped under "Miscellaneous."

• 4 weeks later...
Two common tangkas of the Dode Mint, Y 13.8, 1914-1923. Billon. 9 dots. 4.08 and 4.18 grams.

BRANG PHYA (15) RN M RGYA LA DGAH LADN PHA 57.

(BRANG PHYOGS LAS RNAM RGYA-LA DGAH LDAN PHO)

Or, as Kann renders it: "In the year (year) from the Palace of Celestial Beatitude."

(Coin on the right was purchased from Liberty Coin Service in 1972.)

Hello, Hou much for the left one. you can send the offer to my address: coins1979@hotmail.com

Archived