CoinPeople.com

Stadt Gräfrath Translation Needed

Drusus

Okay, another Notgeld coin with a phrase I cannot translate:

Vertraven Gegen Vertraven • Hilft Nev Das Reich Erbaven!

Any idears?

grafrath.jpg

Vertrauen gegen Vertrauen, hilft neu das Reich erbauen!

Vertrauen is trust or confidence, gegen is against or towards and I'm not sure how it's being used here.

I think the idea is that confidence helps to build the Reich (kingdom or empire) anew. That's about the best I can do with my high school German.

Vertrauen gegen Vertrauen hilft neu das Reich Erbauen!

"Vertrauen gegen Vertrauen" is a figure of speech for starting a new project just on the basis of confidence.

"With combined confidence we will restore our empire." (...after the damages of the lost WWI.)

Trust towards trust, helps the newly built Empire (new republic which was still called reich)

Yep, the name of that country was "Deutsches Reich", no matter whether it was ruled by an emperor (from its beginning in 1871 until 1918), a republic (1919-33), under nazi rule (1933-45) or allied occupation (1945 until its end in 1949). Gräfrath was, at that time, a city in Prussia. Today it is part of Solingen, a city in the state of North Rhine Westphalia. What I also find interesting is that they use the old pfennig symbol on the coin, below the "50".

Christian

Archived