CoinPeople.com

Freud token

Hallo everybody :ninja:

A friend of mine bought a token, some days ago. They told her, it should be a pharmaceutical advertising token, made in the first half of the last century.

On the obverse, there's Sigmund Freud portrait; on the reverse, his name.

The matter is that his name was misspelled (Siegmund, instead of Sigmund).

I know Sigmund and Siegmund are some kind of nicknames for Sigismund, that was Freud's real name, later modified in Sigmund.

Anyway, I wasn't able to find that strange spelling, anywhere.

Does anybody know something more about, this token?

Maybe a foreign author misspelled his name? I also thought that, maybe Siegmund could be more common than Sigmund in Germany or Switzerland (talking about pharmaceutical firms).

Thanks in advance, to anybody that could help me.

In 1906 (Freud's 50th birthday) some friends of Freud's minted a famous medal, on which, his name was misspelled, as well, so that our token could be so "inspired". But the question still remains the same: what was this misspelling origin?

Perhaps Siegmund is the literal version of it translated?

Phonetically it is "ziːkmʊnt" with the "iː" representing the "i" of Sigmund. The "iː" is the same as the "ie" in the German "viel" which is stressed as if saying "veal". Perhaps, therefore, that the Austro-German phonetic way of saying it is as if saying "Siegmund"?

Just a thought.

Thamk four your advice, but what I can't understand is;:Siegmund and Sigmund both are real names (nicknames) and Freud turned his own name, from Sigismund to Sigmund. So, how could it became Siegmund? I think his friend well knew his real name.

Archived