CoinPeople.com

1814 The Pope Returns to Rome, Papal States.

1814 The Pope Returns to Rome, Papal States.

969179.jpg

40mm - Details - R+

Bramsen - 1425

My first Pius VII medal! This arrived today and I decided to take a break from the other 1814 medals I'm photographing and put this one up right away. Of course the allegory of the angel leading St. Peter from the prison as told in Acts 12 refers to Pius' return from France where he had been Napoleon's prisoner since 1809.

This is one of those interesting pieces where the dating is clearly wrong; the obverse says it was engraved in 1815, so why 1814? Well, because Bramsen says 1814. Now Bramsen organized his catalog according to the event date commemorated by the medal, not by the engraving date. This was true of the Mudie series, beautiful medals that rightfully get classified in the year on the medal despite the fact that they were produced from around 1818 until 1820.

Great little peice of history...lovely medal...

If I am not mistaken, and I certainly could be, the rough translation would be:

Christian people approve Pius VII P.M. (pontificus maximus) -- Pontifical Throne (canopied) revived -- enters Rome Day (date) May 24 1814

Great little peice of history...lovely medal...

If I am not mistaken, and I certainly could be, the rough translation would be:

Christian people approve Pius VII P.M. (pontificus maximus) -- Pontifical Throne (canopied) revived -- enters Rome Day (date) May 24 1814

Nice. That's about how I had winkled it out. Someday someone will develop a really good Latin translator for the computer. :ninja:

Someday someone will develop a really good Latin translator for the computer. ;)

As nice as it would be it would be nigh on impossible. Every Latin word seems to have more than one meaning and so a literal translation often makes no sense. Common sense has to be applied in most instances to achieve a decent result; I just hate the grammar of it all what with "ablative absolute" et cetera... :ninja:

A very nice medal though! The design really is superb.

Archived