CoinPeople.com

Group of morgans

A little group morgans to try grading. This is the recent pcgs ogh group I bought. Using bigger pictures here so you can get a better idea. There is one rattler in the group. See if you can tell that one also. What do you think? If really industrious try grade given and grade you think.

1885 o

1885opcgsdollarob.jpg

1885opcgsdollarrev.jpg

1898 o

1898opcgsdollarob.jpg

1898opcgsdollarrev.jpg

1881 s

1881spcgsdollarob.jpg

1881spcgsdollarrev.jpg

1882 s

1882spcgsdollarob.jpg

1882spcgsdollarrev.jpg

1885 O- MS 65 - weak strike

1898 O - MS 63

1881 S - MS 66

1882 S - MS 65 - could be higher but I don't like the.. streaks (don't know what they are called. they really aren't dings but they do interrupt the luster in a bad way)... on the obverse fields.

All pcgs ogh ms64's The 1881 s is the rattler.

Now since I have the advantage of seeing these in hand.

I would say all are solid ms64's. "CACable" The one that actually stands out is the 1898 o. That one I think is the best chance of moving up to 65 maybe a +. Both of you are right on the weak strike 1885 o, but that one would be second in my eyes though. The camera shot made the cheek "bruises" show up a lot worse then in hand. The 1881 s rattler is kind of tough. It does have the cleanest face but has what I see as the deepest "gouge" of any on the right wing. The 1882 s too many hits on the face. Such as the one over the brow. And a good eye on the "streaks" those are actually finger prints. Grading off pictures is pretty tough. Good practice for ebaying though. Just a fyi all shots were taken outside in partial sun. (In the open but some cloud cover.)

Now as a prize if you want them. :ninja: since there were 2 who tried it. Just pm me and I'll send you each 4 stamps. (You know me how many "secret" or "unknown" contests have I had. ) I got a ebay coin I bought a while back it had some 1978 13 cent indian head cent stamps on it for postage. Now they are not in perfect shape since they have made it thru the mail.

Now since I have the advantage of seeing these in hand.

I would say all are solid ms64's. "CACable" The one that actually stands out is the 1898 o. That one I think is the best chance of moving up to 65 maybe a +. Both of you are right on the weak strike 1885 o, but that one would be second in my eyes though. The camera shot made the cheek "bruises" show up a lot worse then in hand. The 1881 s rattler is kind of tough. It does have the cleanest face but has what I see as the deepest "gouge" of any on the right wing. The 1882 s too many hits on the face. Such as the one over the brow. And a good eye on the "streaks" those are actually finger prints. Grading off pictures is pretty tough. Good practice for ebaying though. Just a fyi all shots were taken outside in partial sun. (In the open but some cloud cover.)

Now as a prize if you want them. :ninja: since there were 2 who tried it. Just pm me and I'll send you each 4 stamps. (You know me how many "secret" or "unknown" contests have I had. ) I got a ebay coin I bought a while back it had some 1978 13 cent indian head cent stamps on it for postage. Now they are not in perfect shape since they have made it thru the mail.

Those "streaks" on her cheek, on her nose, and in front of her on the 1882-S are fingerprints???

Also, what is a "rattler"? You've mentioned that term in other threads.

Lastly, if I remember correctly from my reading of The Collectors Survival Manual (I think that was it... this was when I really started - 10+ years ago), the sun's lighting actually DECREASES the apparent grade right? That doesn't look like it happened here!

Those "streaks" on her cheek, on her nose, and in front of her on the 1882-S are fingerprints???

Also, what is a "rattler"? You've mentioned that term in other threads.

Lastly, if I remember correctly from my reading of The Collectors Survival Manual (I think that was it... this was when I really started - 10+ years ago), the sun's lighting actually DECREASES the apparent grade right? That doesn't look like it happened here!

Yep, could get csi to pull the prints. :ninja:

PCGS Rattlers were put out prior to what most people consider ogh ( used in Original green holder. not Original Government holder) the coin actually rattles inside the holder. The reverse design was plainer.

Since I have not got the dual light set up. (I keep forgetting to pick up a new one.) It gives a pretty decent picture doing it out side. It was a little bit cloudier then I would have liked though. I thought about dropping the size of the pics to true size, having them as large as they are and just the way I photograph seems to really "show off" the hits.

Interesting. I've always somewhat doubted "grade inflation", where older PCGS coins were graded more strictly than recent ones. But I've seen MS-66's on ebay that look about as nice as that 1881-S...

Interesting. I've always somewhat doubted "grade inflation", where older PCGS coins were graded more strictly than recent ones. But I've seen MS-66's on ebay that look about as nice as that 1881-S...

To me if a coin is under graded by a bunch it will probably get resubmitted or cracked out and sent back in. So eventually you will have fewer "choice" ogh;s out there. Now there is a following for them and some may never get cracked out even if they are a sure upgrade. The older anacs I looked at recently were the same way. The 1885 cc looked worse then any of the the ones above.

I'm still incredulous. Are you saying they are on the coin or on the holder? I've seen them on naked coins.

Sorry about that it was the 1881 s I did not have the coins in hand when I answered. When you said streaks I thought the rattler. Those are on the coin. Big finger print toward the neck and another above the head. As to the streaks on the 1882 s that is what I mean when I say bruises. (Bag damage) They just skim the surface but show up like a sore thumb in photos. Thats why I would call the 1882 the lowest in the group. Just too baggy. The photo is kind of deceiving the darker area under the chin kind of hides some of it.

Sorry about that it was the 1881 s I did not have the coins in hand when I answered. When you said streaks I thought the rattler. Those are on the coin. Big finger print toward the neck and another above the head. As to the streaks on the 1882 s that is what I mean when I say bruises. (Bag damage) They just skim the surface but show up like a sore thumb in photos. Thats why I would call the 1882 the lowest in the group. Just too baggy. The photo is kind of deceiving the darker area under the chin kind of hides some of it.

:ninja:

We do agree. And I learned a new term: bruises. Can I use that with a dealer and he'll know what I'm referring to or is this a "Mark-ism"?

:ninja:

We do agree. And I learned a new term: bruises. Can I use that with a dealer and he'll know what I'm referring to or is this a "Mark-ism"?

A mark-ism. Most of the time hits like that are just bag marks. I would use that instead. But dropping a coin or several other things could cause the same marks.

Thanks a bunch for the stamps Mark. These are now officially the reddest and most detailed Indian heads I own ;)

Archived