CoinPeople.com

A cast 1792 5 koppeks AM

alexbq2

But WHY would anyone go to the trouble of faking this particular issue, which is quite common?

Probably because coins of lower value seldom get the scrutiny of the more expensive

pieces. If one is content with a reasonable profit margin, then quite a bit of money can

be made over a period of time by selling cast coins of this type.

Some years ago a stamp expert went through one of those bags of old stamps sold

to beginning collectors (1000+ stamps for some low price) and found a considerable

number of fakes.

RWJ

But WHY would anyone go to the trouble of faking this particular issue, which is quite common? :ninja:

The production of this unrare copper coin must cost very cheap, may be less than five dollars per piece, so "dealers" can by it by 8-12 dollars and re-sell it for 25 and sometimes much more, getting a good profit and constant demand on unexpensive coins in such condition ;)

I must point out, that I have recently seen some cast fakes of large Siberian coppers done in a similar fashion. Not easy to spot unless you see the edge.

It seems that almost any coin that appeals to collector interest is being counterfeited these days: Europe, Russia, Australia, North and South America. Plus whatever other fakes have escaped my attention.

I must point out, that I have recently seen some cast fakes of large Siberian coppers done in a similar fashion. Not easy to spot unless you see the edge.

this is one of the reason that coin must be exxamined in hands :ninja:

Archived