CoinPeople.com

General Hartranft Medal Assistance

This was part of a lot I recently purchased. There is little refernce online, haven't bought Sullivan's book yet. 28MM in white metal. Penn State museum has a piece as does ANS, recorded in 1967. Otherwise, nada. Hartranft was a primary player in the prosecution of the Lincoln asassination group, inlcuding Mary Surrat, the first woman hanged by the US government.

There was a ribbon associated with this piece that I found online, the ribbon sold for $880 in 2002. http://www.cowanauctions.com/past_sales_vi....asp?itemid=709

Any help on catalog ID, rarity, and value wold be appreciated.

HartranttObverse.jpg

HartranttReverse.jpg

No help on catalog ID, rarity, or value, but I posted an earlier campaign piece, just follow the link by clicking. I paid about $80.

Very nice!! I wonder if there is a community of gubernatorial campaign mermorabilia collectors??? I also have this one of McClellan as governor in New Jersey in 1878. Farthest left. No info on the big Harrison medal. I really like the Henry Clay memorial pieces.

Brad2-1Obverse.jpg

Brad2-1Reverse.jpg

Is there an engraver's name, perhaps on the edge of the arm? Might get a Forrer reference that way. There used to be a really nice website called www.politicalbadges.com but I noticed I couldn't hit it just now. I hope it's the VPN I'm running or he's just rebooting because it was very informative on just this subject.

I don't know if there is a collecting community for gubernatorial pieces per se, but there are collectors of political exonumia. You have several nice, interesting pieces. Looks like a good start on a specialized collection. I particularly like your Harrison piece. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for your kind comment, Bill. Both on the right are Harrison pieces. I think I have 4 more, 2 are the hard times related pieces dated 1840.

Was there a series of "residence" medals struck for each president? Adams and Harrison are pictured...

The reference books are very expensive!!! Hertzsog has 2 DeWitt/Sullican copies listed on eBay at $325 each...MINT! I'd love to have one but used, that way I won't feel guilty using it.

The references are expensive, even used. The other option is the ANA library. I use it when researching pieces for which I do not own a catalog and cannot easily track one down. Its a great backstop for even the best personal libraries.

Archived