CoinPeople.com

Louis XIV, Bronze Jeton, NON. EXHAVSERE. TRIVMPHI

Hello,

i found some information about this jeton on the web but no rally satisfactory details about the meaning of the reverse or the occasion of the issue:

tok080.jpg

France, Louis XIV (1643-1715), engraver: Jacques Nilis, ca. 1688-1693 AD.,

Bronze Jeton (25 mm / 4,93 g), Paris :ninja: ,

Obv.: LVDOVICVS - MAGNVS. REX. / N , his head facing right - buste du roi Louis XIV tourné à droite.

Rev.: NON. EXHAVSERE. TRIVMPHI // ÆRARIVM / REGIVM , (They have not exhausted the triumphs / office of royal treasury - Ils n'ont pas épuisé les triomphes / chambre du trésor royal) , a palm tree (symbol of victory and peace with it obtained), in front of it, a bow (a symbol of war and militia supported) and a quiver full of arrows - un palmier (symbole de victoire et de la paix avec elle obtenue); devant à elle, un arc (symbole de milice et des guerres supportées) et un carquois plein de flèches.

ref. ;) .

The engraver Jacques Nilis was active during 1688-1693.

Was it a general issue occasion about successful wars and following peace of Lous XIV?

Regards

Feuardent doesn't explain the symbolism, but calls this jeton (F 1939) "rare" and mentions an almost identical jeton dated 1692, signed "R." Gadoury (1991) lists it at 70 FF in TB, which would seem to argue for a common piece.

Mitchener (Vol. 2, p. 1061, #3202) says "The jetons de presence of this year, 1692, show the king's portrait engraved by Roettier (Feu. note to no. 1939)" so no more info about the symbolism there either. It is in the section entitled Tresor Royale.

`Les Triomphes ne l'ont pas epuise.' literally : `the triumphs are not exhausted' but more like `our triumphs continue unabound' (or similar).

The jetons of the `Tresor Royal' series usually depict `plenty' or `good times' in some shape or form. You have to bear in mind that these pieces were issued to the faithfull, and they are as much a motivational tool as they are a form of reward. However, the reaklity was that the contents of the royal treasury were not quite as inexhaustable during this period as the legend and depiction would suggest. Louis XIV's wars against a united Europe quickly saw the treasury's silver and gold run dry. A few years prior to the issue of that particular jeton (1689) a royal decree confiscated silver and gold belonging to private citizens. This was subsequently melted down and used to finance his war efforts. While it may have been a triumph for the royal treasury, it certainly was no triumph for the merchant classes as it led to the demise of most master Goldsmith's at that time. No gold, nothing to work with and nobody prepared to disclose that they had any gold in the first place for them to work with.

Ian

Hello,

i found some information about this jeton on the web but no rally satisfactory details about the meaning of the reverse or the occasion of the issue:

tok080.jpg

a palm tree (symbol of victory and peace with it obtained), in front of it, a bow (a symbol of war and militia supported) and a quiver full of arrows

Is it just me, or does that 'quiver full of arrows' look more like a cannon or more correctly a mortar? If it is a quiver full of arrows, are they the invisible type?

Is it just me, or does that 'quiver full of arrows' look more like a cannon or more correctly a mortar? If it is a quiver full of arrows, are they the invisible type?

:ninja:

Certainy CGB refers to them as `arc et carquois sur un palmier'. that is, `a bow and quivver on a palm tree'. They make no mention of there being any arrows in the quivver. After so many fruitless triumphs perhaps someone should have gone back to pick up the arrows? Thee quivver does appear to be in need of replenishment and lord knows mon brave, ....pas d'argent = pas des fleches! ;)

Similar experience - i bought that jeton for the cannon reverse but after reading the cgb-info it turned out as a quiver.

Well i´m no quiver, mortar or weapons expert concerning those days but it certainly is no cannon as visible on this specimen:

erarium.jpg

A.

The picture in Mitchener shows a hint of the feathers of the arrows (fletching, how often do you get to use that term? :ninja: ) but these pieces didn't wear well. Of course if I was over three hundred years old (not, for those who ask) I'd love to have as little wear as that...

The picture in Mitchener shows a hint of the feathers of the arrows (fletching, how often do you get to use that term? :ninja: ) but these pieces didn't wear well. Of course if I was over three hundred years old (not, for those who ask) I'd love to have as little wear as that...

The surname Fletcher means some one who fletches, that is the person that sees to the feathers on the arrows or the arrow-maker.

Which reminds me of this tongue twister:

I'm not the feather plucker, I'm the feather pluckers son and I'm busy plucking feathers till the feather plucker comes. Just try not saying it out loud in gentle company.

The surname Fletcher means some one who fletches, that is the person that sees to the feathers on the arrows or the arrow-maker.

Which reminds me of this tongue twister:

I'm not the feather plucker, I'm the feather pluckers son and I'm busy plucking feathers till the feather plucker comes. Just try not saying it out loud in gentle company.

I recall the saying as being a `pheasant plucker'......... :ninja:

Meanwhile this is off topic and we need a preceding popup like :

"This site contains content that may be unsuitable for minors."

:ninja:

................................................................................

WARNING: This post may contain high levels of sarcasm, stupid opinions and traces of peanuts. Reader discretion is advised.

Archived