CoinPeople.com

Odd quarter question

Vfox

Okay I pulled this guy out of a register the other night and I am fairly certain it's simply silver plated, but it's hard to tell. The coin has been in circulation for some time, it's probably in the XF-Au area, it's a 2001-P New York quarter. Anyway, the rim is completely silver, and the weight is 5.64g, just as a normal quarter weighed on my scale. Does anyone know the weight of a quarter without its copper core?

If I remember correctly the silver quarters weigh 6.25g. I can't find it anyway to confirm that figure. If anyone has a silver proof set with the coa it will tell you the quarters weight. Ditto the clad proof set for the clad quarter.

Okay I pulled this guy out of a register the other night and I am fairly certain it's simply silver plated, but it's hard to tell. The coin has been in circulation for some time, it's probably in the XF-Au area, it's a 2001-P New York quarter. Anyway, the rim is completely silver, and the weight is 5.64g, just as a normal quarter weighed on my scale. Does anyone know the weight of a quarter without its copper core?

(hey where's the pic :ninja:

Not sure what you are getting at...do you suspect the possibility of it *not* having a copper core? I think it is likely that you found one of those platinum plate jobs .... SEARCH LINK

According to this page article link

the copper core weighs 4.7 gms leaving 1 gm for a hollow one and, of course, some other weight for a different planchet.

I gotta go with the platinum plate job as those were mass marketed.

That was my assumption as well, and I will try to get a pic up later. As for what I think it could be, certainly not a silver planchet, which leaves only two possible things, one is the platinum or silver plating from QVC (lol) and the other is a possible no copper core quarter, or rather, a solid nickel one. I am, as you guys, leaning towards a plated coin.

Archived