CoinPeople.com

1811 ruble MS63 on Kunker

Kit

http://sixbid.com/nav.php?p=viewlot&sid=155&lot=6379

It does not look as MS to me. Opinions ?

It looks like the middle area was very weakly struck. But it is hard to say if this is wear or weak strike without seeing the coin in hand.

And with a strike as weak as this one, assuming that it isn't actually wear from circulation, I would only grade it MS-60 or 61.

Künker says "Vorzüglich­-Stempelglanz" (i.e. "EF-UNC"). NGC says "MS-63" (whatever that is).

"Stempelglanz" is usually reserved by serious dealers (in Europe) for coins that would grade MS-65 and up by USA standards.

MS-63 would therefore only warrant "vorzüglich" (IMHO...)

"Stempelglanz" is usually reserved by serious dealers (in Europe) for coins that would grade MS-65 and up by USA standards.

MS-63 would therefore only warrant "vorzüglich" (IMHO...)

I think it is correct.

In addition, I think they messed a picture in its catalog and a next lot 6380 can be NGC one's :ninja:

I think it is correct.

In addition, I think they messed a picture in its catalog and a next lot 6380 can be NGC one's :ninja:

The coin pictured in lot 6379 is definitely in one of the new NGC holders since you can see the four white "prongs" of the holder protruding into the picture of the coin.

It's impossible to tell just from the picture if the coin pictured in lot 6380 is in one of the old NGC holders (no prongs) or "raw."

The coin pictured in lot 6379 is definitely in one of the new NGC holders since you can see the four white "prongs" of the holder protruding into the picture of the coin.

It's impossible to tell just from the picture if the coin pictured in lot 6380 is in one of the old NGC holders (no prongs) or "raw."

can be, but my point is that so many times auction houses messed a pics with description that 6380 looks more obvious to be instead 6379 :ninja:

Archived