CoinPeople.com

Puerto Rico Quarter

tmoneyeagles

Your thoughts on these..... I'm thinking it might be smart to stash away a roll of P's!

Philadelphia: 53.2 million minted

Denver: 86 million minted

Sales Figures:

100-coin bag (Philadelphia) 10,769

100-coin bag (Denver) 10,576

1000-coin bag (Philadelphia) 1,047 SOLD OUT

1000-coin bag (Denver) 953 SOLD OUT

Two-roll Set 26,850

Your thoughts on these..... I'm thinking it might be smart to stash away a roll of P's!

For what purpose exactly? As an investment, I do not see any potential. The 1968D had only twice the production as the Puerto Rico Quarter, and a BU roll trades amongst many dealers for under three times face. And these were quarters that circulated quite a bit over the past forty years, leaving few that survived higher grades. The Puerto Rico Quarter was produced with preservation in mind, and very probably, few will circulate. That's the problem with these commemorative circulation coins and the press they have gotten with the public. Many who would not have thought of saving these coins are hoarding them, under the false impression that there is some investment quality behind them.

The key to investment in coins is rarity. The more rare a coin is in higher grades, the more valuable it will become. If the value of a coin as a collectible does not surpass the rise in inflation, then there is no investment quality to that coin. However, that is not to say that these coins will not have met and surpassed the rise in inflation during your posterity's time, or their posterity's time.

In that case, hoarding some of these quarters may be a matter of foresight on your part toward the benefit of your children's children. But, even in what we would consider long term investment, I do not believe that these coins will be able to stay up with the current inflation (and possible coming hyper-inflation) in the world today.

On the other hand, if the design appeals to you, and you are a hoarder by nature or a roll collector, picking up a few rolls is ideal. Just be careful of being blown about in the winds of the current fad.

For what purpose exactly? As an investment, I do not see any potential. The 1968D had only twice the production as the Puerto Rico Quarter, and a BU roll trades amongst many dealers for under three times face. And these were quarters that circulated quite a bit over the past forty years, leaving few that survived higher grades. The Puerto Rico Quarter was produced with preservation in mind, and very probably, few will circulate. That's the problem with these commemorative circulation coins and the press they have gotten with the public. Many who would not have thought of saving these coins are hoarding them, under the false impression that there is some investment quality behind them.

The key to investment in coins is rarity. The more rare a coin is in higher grades, the more valuable it will become. If the value of a coin as a collectible does not surpass the rise in inflation, then there is no investment quality to that coin. However, that is not to say that these coins will not have met and surpassed the rise in inflation during your posterity's time, or their posterity's time.

In that case, hoarding some of these quarters may be a matter of foresight on your part toward the benefit of your children's children. But, even in what we would consider long term investment, I do not believe that these coins will be able to stay up with the current inflation (and possible coming hyper-inflation) in the world today.

On the other hand, if the design appeals to you, and you are a hoarder by nature or a roll collector, picking up a few rolls is ideal. Just be careful of being blown about in the winds of the current fad.

Oh god no! I hate these quarters! I hate everything about them! I think we need to stop commemorating things in general, what exactly is wrong with the quarter reverse, 1932-1998? NOTHING!

I'm saying just seeing these, with a low mintage, and never seeing a one in circulation, the demand for these will rise, because people are indeed hoarding them... I'm saying some for safe keeping and make a profit later...If you can pick one up for $20 now, who knows, maybe $40 next year...You never know it all depends on seeing these in circulation

Archived